Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Timer Switches.

More
11 Feb 2007 14:44 #1 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I know what you mean, but haven't seen anything like that in the usual places (Woodies and B&Q). Proabably best to do an internet search to see if such a thing exists.

Regards,

Ken.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2007 18:14 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Yes there is, Argos do them for about 6.99, they are digital timers if you are looking in the catologue, I think I saw them on special in a twon pack around Christmas. I have one somewhere but never used it. From memory I think they will remember the time and settings for about 8 hours in a power cut.

If you can't find them let me know and I will see if I can find them again.

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 03:07 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Timer Switches.
Bought one in Lidl yesterday.
B&Q also do them, but at twice the price.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 08:36 #4 by Didihno (Didihno)

Thanks for that, Lidl is closer than Golden Island and it keeps me away from the record/dvd shop!

John

And while you're there you can pick up 400 packets of their yummy and dirt cheap instant noodles!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 08:39 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
error!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 13:20 #6 by Didihno (Didihno)
So it was you that bought the entire stock of barbeque flavour!

My nemesis has a name at last!

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 17:58 #7 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Timer Switches.
Hi John,

Hello all,
Could anyone knowledgeable about things electric tell me if there's such a thing available as a timer switch which will carry on (well, it's clock really) in the event of a power cut?

I am missing a huge chunk of the puzzle here.Basically you are looking for an overall system where in the event of a power failure the timing settings are saved and uninterrupted, so when power resumes the same timing will be maintained.Is this right?

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 18:07 #8 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
-power outages either last <1 hour (80%) or >3hours(20%) from what I can gather
-the main thing is that it is unusual for power cuts to last longer than any battery backup
-there is no real simple solution that can be achieved cheaply or with a simple battery if you are looking for a fail safe system

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 18:21 #9 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
If you wouldnt mind John what was your intended function for the relay?

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Feb 2007 19:12 #10 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
I still may not be seeing your vision but this is what I think you are trying to do

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2007 03:55 #11 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Hi
Don't know if you are getting PM's with all this debug mode appearing so see you sunday

More
30 Mar 2007 16:47 #12 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Two of my digital timers kicked the bucket recently, they cost 13 bells each and had only being going for 4-5months. I now know why they packed it in, thanks for the info chris!

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
31 Mar 2007 07:09 #13 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: Timer Switches.
Oxygen tablets for goldfish bowls are made form sodium perborate and nothing else, just the neat chemical, I have found they are good for transporting fish over long distance, I donated a 10KG bucket of it to the president of the ITFS at last Feb meeting, for for amount s to given on demand if members need some, basically a half teaspoon in a 2 foot ever 4 hours will keep the O2 up, canĀ“t do nothing about the temp, a slight drop in temp is good any way as the fish lose interest in eating and more importantly consume less O2, keeping the fish at 21C for a couple of days is no big deal, with the availability of butane gas heating heating the living room to 22C will, maintain 21C in the water's one will lose 1C to the chill effect of evaporation.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds