Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How much do you spend a year?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2010 00:45 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
How much do you spend a year? was created by stretnik (stretnik)
On average, how much do you think you spend on Fish, Marine or Freshwater including sundries a Year?

Kev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2010 01:12 #2 by joey (joe watson)
does that include utilities like leccy and cost of servicing RO units?
very hard to calculate, always picking something up here and there. total i spent on everything fishy runs well over 3k in the last 2 yrs

wow i've even shocked myself with that, and i wonder why i still drive a 00....

More
25 Nov 2010 01:35 #3 by JohnH (John)
Personally I would rather not add it up - too bloody much, in a word (and that was three words).
I would suspect you might have the same, or similar, answer Kev?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Nov 2010 01:42 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Ooooh. Would hate to think.
And would hate to say....especially as some might say 'public sector?....overpaid'. :)
My amphibian and reptile bill is pretty high....I know that as, even though I breed a lot of my own food, I still have a regular food bill that covers buying in 2 or 3 shops per week.

I now have 18 fish tanks running (plus two biggies and a few smaller ones to have suitable stands built). I tend to do a weekly shop covering at least 3 shops more than the reptile stuff, so the bill is splintered.

My car is a faithful but now tatty 1997 thing.....guess why?

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
25 Nov 2010 04:02 #5 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
I guess if your fish are alive and well you are spending enough. Theres was always room for a little pampering too until I read that four year plan of theirs...

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
25 Nov 2010 09:26 #6 by michaelangello (Michael)
considering im only at this about a year id say ive spent about 3K. Damn those corals are expensive!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2010 09:45 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:How much do you spend a year?
No, just Fish and all the tangibles, nothing you cannot touch.

Kev.

More
25 Nov 2010 09:50 #8 by roealdo (j)
You can touch electricity. A bit tingly!

In the last year I will have bought 3 tanks, many many fish, filters, lights, food and other bits and pieces and I reckon I'd be hitting the €2.5k-€3k mark

More
25 Nov 2010 09:53 #9 by michaelangello (Michael)
Ah i see,

Id say on a weekly average of about 20quid, then extra at the end of the month for carbon etc, by the end of 2 months re-stocking additives would cost a fair bit too.

Taking all this into account bar lecky costs id say in and around €300 every 2 months??? So I have my big tank running about 6 months so around €900 so far in running costs.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2010 09:59 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:How much do you spend a year?
I'm beginning to feel ill, holy moley, just waiting to hear for the big guns- 40+ Tanks !

Kev.

More
25 Nov 2010 10:07 #11 by Ma (mm mm)
Including tanks about 9k in the last 12 months

Without about 5-6K, including equipment heaters ect food and bits n bobs, have had 16 different tanks both large and small this last year.

Mark

Location D.11

More
25 Nov 2010 12:29 #12 by joey (joe watson)
i'd say just on food, conditioner, tonic salt and ferts i spend naff all, around 20-30euro a month including breaking down the cost of replacing bulbs, but i buy everything in bulk. i dont buy anymore equipment as i am trying to sell it so the running costs are going down now. between whats traded and sold i will be able to do the new set-up with very little extra cash imput, but it still means the 1 big tank has cost over 3k!

More
25 Nov 2010 12:32 #13 by Gavin (Gavin)
this year I'm setting up my new reef system.Even though I'm working in the trade It's still costing me a small fortune and there isn't even any water in the tank yet.I'm getting a second hand computer thing to hook up to the lap top..star wars stuff. Now if I can jsut over come the constant pain of salt creep my other half may not kill me for spending so much.:laugh:

dont make me come over there.

More
25 Nov 2010 15:28 #14 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
every friday i get paid i spend at least 50 quid on some thing of stuff for the fish

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
25 Nov 2010 17:01 #15 by andrewo (andrew)
Really impossible to get exact amount tho like John said; i would rather not know it!:laugh:

On a more serious note i suppose its more if you have just set up tank/tanks but amount shld be steady after a while when you are no longer buying equipment/etc and just food for fishes and filter/water maintenance.

I will go calculate and be back...if i dont pass out:laugh:

More
25 Nov 2010 20:12 - 25 Nov 2010 20:43 #16 by des (des)
How much do i spend a year on fish and everything else that comes with fish keeping ?
i don't think i want to know, sometimes i think it's an obsession :S , although a healthy one... ;)
i'm not complaining, it's a great learning experience and i've met some really nice and interesting characters along the way and all the different species of fish are an unending source of amazement... :)
Last edit: 25 Nov 2010 20:43 by des (des).

More
27 Nov 2010 22:09 #17 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
I reckon about 4 k this year - but that was going from zero to 8 tanks and all the equipment, contents, test kits, substrate extra bits and pieces.

I bought 2 new ones with cabinets, but quickly realised that if I kept going like that it would be the price of a car by year end - Second hand is yer only man!

Still - worth every penny

More
28 Nov 2010 08:11 #18 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Never count the money you spent for a hobby-and you feel better;)
Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
28 Nov 2010 08:37 #19 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
No Idea how much I spend a year but I just lost €80 worth in two days because of the water here.
I get softened water in work for my water changes FOC and heat it with water from home boiled in the kettle.
Did my change on Saturday last as usuall. Tuesday came homne and 4 wild caught rams were dead. Next day 2 corydoras 2 cockatoids and a swordtail were dead. Couldnt understand till I had a long soak in the bath and got a strong smell from the water of Fluoride. Chlorine parameters were fine all others normal. So now my annual cost is gonna go up when I replace what I lost and am going to start buying water.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds