Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

advice on plants in axololtls tank ????????

More
25 Jan 2011 22:42 #1 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
hi
i am going to put plants in my axololtls tank a natural look .

i have an led light as it does not heat up tank would this be ok for some plants and can some plants live out side of the water ??????

any advice and shareing off knowledge on this subject much needed :)

thanks trish

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2011 00:36 #2 by joey (joe watson)
some plantys like anubias do live out of water. LED's are no good for plants as they have a very low lumen output (this is actual light output, wattage is pretty irrelevant) but mosses and java fern and above mentioned anubia can grow in lower light conditions

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jan 2011 01:39 - 26 Jan 2011 01:41 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: advice on plants in axololtls tank ????????
Hi Trish,

You can use a lot of Plants where they are half submerged or better still, have their Roots in water, anubias are great but need to be tied down, a better plant would be Spatiphylum or peace lily, these love the humid conditions of a setup like that or you could put in some Philodendron scandens aka sweetheart plant, this is a climber that puts out adventitious Roots as it climbs, however, these Roots in Water change to become happy covered in H2O and are great in removing excess nutrients from the Water. Leds nowadays are more than adequate for growing these plants, they don't scorch or dry leaves out and are continuously being improved upon, they have to be good as some are even used now for growing macro algaes in Marine setups and there are special grow beams for fresh water Tanks. A single led would need supplementary lighting, ie, being near a not too sunny Window, a better way would be to get a strip of Leds.

Kev.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2011 01:41 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
29 Jan 2011 18:14 #4 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
thsnk guys , would just room light be ok for some plants ????

cheers trish

More
29 Jan 2011 18:15 #5 by funkychic (trish coughlan)
is pic at end of ur message a tank ??? if so amazing

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds