Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My Hardy Angel fish

• David (David)
  • David (David)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 19:56 - 14 Mar 2011 09:35 #1 by David (David)
My Hardy Angel fish was created by David (David)
So where to begin i have had my 200litre tank up and running for well a long time it is NPT,
Now i have been one for large stocks of Fish the inhabitants were my Breeding pair of Angels Kuhli loach and algae eaters and a pleco and about 30 odd shrimp that was it oh and 1 guppy.

I think it looks nice

Then i decided that i would like to introduce some Rams six in total with the intention of moving the into there own tank once they had paired of was not to concerned about the Angel spawn as have raised plenty of there fry in the past. All of a sudden My Female Angel stopped eating Then disaster stuck with the rams came a very un welcome guest calamanus worms it took well over a week before i figured this out by which time my male Angel had stopped eating and my female was really not looking to well,now anyone that knows calamanus worms would no that getting a med for it in this country is near impossble i had to order it from germany,so now we are about 3 weeks into this meds have just arrived but my tank is in a mess all rams died Angels hanging in but hopes are not to high loaches have not been seen Algae eaters also not in great shape.I added the meds and i have to say it is miracle stuff but very stong for the fish to tollerate and the shrimp did not stand a chance but it had to be done. 3 days after adding the meds tried to remove any fish and shrimp i could reach but the plants were so dence at the back and i had not seen the loaches i had to cut all the plants out this was heart breaking loosing a lot of my fish all shrimp gone and know the plants. This is what was left.

So i did an 80% water change and to my surprise found the loaches all well found them after removing the wood and my Angels had starting to pick at food and the algea eaters were starting to come round.I ordered new plant form an online company which turned out to be a disaster and wont do that again.
And then today i come home and find this

Now dont i just have the hardiest Angel fish after all that they started to spawn again.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2011 09:35 by David (David).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 20:05 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: My Hardy Angel fish
That is positively cool, if you Ever need some PROPER meds. I have stuff for internal and external Parasites, you cannot buy it here it is vet quality stuff. lol, I sound like a Drug dealer.

Kev.

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 20:22 #3 by David (David)
Replied by David (David) on topic Re: My Hardy Angel fish

That is positively cool, if you Ever need some PROPER meds. I have stuff for internal and external Parasites, you cannot buy it here it is vet quality stuff. lol, I sound like a Drug dealer.

Kev.

God i hope i never incounter somthing like this again

If my fish are looking for a fix ill let you no

More
13 Mar 2011 20:48 #4 by JohnH (John)
David,
I'm pleased your Angels have pulled around but surely your tale really reinforces the argument for having a quarantine tank?

Hindsight - as they do say - is a wonderful thing, but a bit of forethought might have saved you an awful lot of anxiety and ultimately upset.

Everyone buying new Fish would do well to heed David's story and quarantine all new purchases.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 21:22 #5 by David (David)

David,
I'm pleased your Angels have pulled around but surely your tale really reinforces the argument for having a quarantine tank?

Hindsight - as they do say - is a wonderful thing, but a bit of forethought might have saved you an awful lot of anxiety and ultimately upset.

Everyone buying new Fish would do well to heed David's story and quarantine all new purchases.

John

John
Could not agree more with you on this i did everthing else right bar the quarantine i check my supplier to find out where they were importing from, quality of fish and so on

Second lesson i learned you cant always trust your supplier, on occasion you will get told inaccurate information

More
13 Mar 2011 21:30 #6 by JohnH (John)
Unfortunately it isn't always the supplier, quite often they are told mistruths by the people supplying them.

It's a harsh world out there - sadly!
:-((

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
13 Mar 2011 21:43 #7 by joey (joe watson)
just out of curiosity what are those worms like and how do they affect the fish (symptoms)? always trying to keep my eyes open for anything not-quite-right but as a fairly newby keeper its hard to know what not-quite-right is!

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 22:01 #8 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: My Hardy Angel fish
www.fish-treatment.co.uk/roundworms.html

Here is a good site to give you an Idea.

Kev.

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2011 22:38 #9 by David (David)
This worm is not always visable in fish and can take time before it does become visable

For want of a better way to desribe its like very fine bright red pin points sticking out of the fishes anus pointing towards the back of the fish not very nice.

Actually your probably better of looking at stretnik link

More
13 Mar 2011 23:31 #10 by joey (joe watson)
yeah i did and thanked him for it.
i have never dosed for parasites do you think i should, as my tank has most the fish i indended to keep in it now and if i were to lose them i'd give the whole lot up. i mean dose as a precautionary measure i have a few recent additions gone in after a few weeks of quarrantine but didn't know the signs to look for with internal problems - i dose myxazin on introduction and have protozin if there's fungus/ich coming thru in the following weeks. all this talk of worms gives me the eebie-geebies and now i'm gunna be staring at my over active barbs arses all night much to the non-amusement of the wife!

• David (David)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2011 09:33 #11 by David (David)
My own opinion on this would be no you take the wright precations in using a quarrantine which is were i went wrong on this occasion .

More
14 Mar 2011 16:33 #12 by joey (joe watson)
yes i QT but only to check for ich and finrot i never know what else i should be looking for, so i think its time for a parasite med it'll be long overdue and wouldn't do any harm better safe than sorry i've a few bobs worth of 50+ fish in there

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds