Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

60ltr fowlr - external filter??

More
03 Feb 2013 00:46 #1 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
hey all i'm thinking of setting up a 60 ltr tank, question is can i use an external filled with live rock? i was thinking of using a spare tetratec ex1200, would that be too much flow for such a small tank?? would it actually have any positive effect using it filled with lr?? i also hav an ex600 i could use instead???

the tank would only have live rock, a small clean up crew and a couple of clownfish or green chromis?? just one or 2 smaller species? i could add a skimmer if needed afterwards.

any help would be great.

wayne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2013 01:00 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Best thing to do is add as much live rock to the tank as you can

Then with the filter add a small amount of live rock but also add carbon and rowaphos in the filter you could also use filter floss in this also just make sure to change this maybe weekly so not to be adding any PO4 or No3 to your tank

See how you go with out skimmer keep up with water changes and change rowsphos and carbon monthly

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
04 Feb 2013 11:30 #3 by deepseanige (Nigel Brookes)
I personally wouldn't bother putting liverock in the external, it will only become a trap for detritus and probably not add much benefit to the tank in terms of biological filtration.

More
19 Jul 2013 01:26 #4 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Hows the tank these days, how you running it ???

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
19 Jul 2013 20:25 #5 by maggy88 (Wayne Mc Glynn)
i didnt go with it mate, went with a freshwater setup instead. someday though i'll take the leap into the salty side ;)

Wayne

More
08 Aug 2013 22:42 #6 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Probably a good idea I think 60ltr is way to small for controlling everything size does mater in a saltwater tank

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
08 Aug 2013 23:57 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I wouldn't use an external on a salty anyways.. it can have as much a neg effect as pos effect. Also its not recommended to use carbon either. You would be better off just having the L/R needed in the tank instead.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
09 Aug 2013 01:17 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Davey I run my 240 on a external no probs it has floss and jbl micro mec to control nitrates and if you look at the monster tank in S/h that's all they have in the sump I also run carbon in skimmer and my water is flawless so it is 100% ok to run a Marine tank without a sump (no offence) sumps are only handy

More
09 Aug 2013 11:56 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Davey I run my 240 on a external no probs it has floss and jbl micro mec to control nitrates and if you look at the monster tank in S/h that's all they have in the sump I also run carbon in skimmer and my water is flawless so it is 100% ok to run a Marine tank without a sump (no offence) sumps are only handy

I do know some use them but my advice given is based on advice received from seahorse and resident salties on another site that I met... also spent some time looking it up on other marine/reef sites while planning my fowlr tank... I never mentioned a sump because on such a small tank there wouldn't be necessarily a need for either.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
09 Aug 2013 14:39 #10 by sincgar (Feargal Costello)
Hi,
i have my 90liter reef - fish and various corals operating with a cristal profi e900 without issue. i also operated for over two years at the start with no skimmer and soft corals without any issue
the filter has an inline heater on the return pipe and contains the top sponges for mechanical fitration, next two with live rock bits and the odd back of rowaphos and sometimes carbon with the final tray containing the ceramic tubes that came with the original filter pack
the sponges get washed out in tap water with each change.
the filter maintenance is also my water change as I refill once cleaned with fresh salt water and then reconnect and switch on. It minimises the work inside the tank unless it is a big water change and a glass scrub
It also adds about 7-9 litres of volume to the tank :)

i have now connected the return to an old HOB filter and going to have some more LR and chaeto in this if i ccan get some. ran the HOB before with its own pump and clip on light on reverse on time with chaeto and never had a nitrate issue

More
10 Aug 2013 01:11 #11 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Spot on mate I would ditch the sponges though no need for them at all stick a bit of floss in instead at the first intake tray and the last one on the way out the first one can be changed every two weeks and the last one every month your water will be Crystal clear not saying it's not but you get me drift, the Live rock is the filter and the external filter is for floss and job micromec if you want to run carbon and rowaphos that is the way I was told at Seahorse and they is all that is in their main tank the sump is only handy for changing the floss and stuff, I know a guy who is running a marine tank with the original built in jewel filter with just floss and jbl micromec and it's running about 4 years with loads of Fish and loads of corals and it's perfect I did think he was mad at the start but now I can see he is right

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds