Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Using Mangroves/nitrate reduction

More
12 Mar 2008 12:38 - 14 Mar 2008 00:13 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
I was just reading this and it might be of help to anyone considering marine or Brackish tanks.

saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitratecontrol/a/aa051398.htm

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 14 Mar 2008 00:13 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2008 09:41 #2 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
I know some italian fish keepers that are using this system to keep the nitrate/phosphate pollution down.

There is a legend talking about the mangrove's roots being able to perforate the silicone that seals the aquarium glasses, but as far as I know nobody got flooded because of a mangove. :P

does anyone know where can I get a small (hopefully) mangrove and/or some caluerpa?
how much does it cost?

Ciao
Mirko

More
More
26 Aug 2008 13:31 #4 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
mwdragondk/mickey wallace wrote:

saw this on eBay
cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Marine-Red-Mangroves,-w...t-system._W0QQitemZ1

yes, I was looking at something like that.
but for alive things I don't like to buy on internet.
even because last time I bought a plant on ebay I got some lemna minor hitch-hicking with it and I'm still fighting againt it :S

Ciao
Mirko

More
26 Aug 2008 13:43 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
i have been looking at this for a further planned brackish tank but sources seem few in this neck of the woods i can understand your point but because this is not widely used here it limits the options available, do hopefully others may have seen something new locally try but if you ask in one of our sponsors they may be able to get it added to an order.

More
26 Aug 2008 14:02 #6 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)

i have been looking at this for a further planned brackish tank but sources seem few in this neck of the woods i can understand your point but because this is not widely used here it limits the options available, do hopefully others may have seen something new locally try but if you ask in one of our sponsors they may be able to get it added to an order.

well I think you agree with me that lemna minor won't be a problem on my reef tank! :laugh:

but delivery from UK sometimes takes a week and I don't know how the plants will react.
and then there's the \"ethic\" problem... a mangrove is a tree... and what will I do with it when it will become too much for my tank?

Ciao
Mirko

More
26 Aug 2008 14:42 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Lesser Duckweed (lemna minor) should not be a problem

As for the mangrove!?! Well i am toying with the option of treating it as you would a bonsai tree regular prooning of the foilage and roots this should be help by fact that this is a somewhat oppturits plant, the pods have been know to take hold on small reefs and surf thus it should with stand this treatment and the fact it seems to be commonly used in the sump suggest slow or self limiting growth.

do i would be only guessing but maybe Zig or platty252 would have some ideas on this?

More
26 Aug 2008 15:21 #8 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)

Lesser Duckweed (lemna minor) should not be a problem

As for the mangrove!?! Well i am toying with the option of treating it as you would a bonsai tree regular prooning of the foilage and roots this should be help by fact that this is a somewhat oppturits plant, the pods have been know to take hold on small reefs and surf thus it should with stand this treatment and the fact it seems to be commonly used in the sump suggest slow or self limiting growth.

do i would be only guessing but maybe Zig or platty252 would have some ideas on this?

mmmm ;)
intrigued.

Ciao
Mirko

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2008 21:46 #9 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:Using Mangroves/nitrate reduction
hi
this seems very interesting,i also looked at one of the other topics on this page about green algae which i have a bit of a problem with as ive been fighting with high nitrates and phospates for a whilenow and if is mangroves helped i would give them a go,
thanks for the link mickey
john

More
26 Aug 2008 22:09 - 26 Aug 2008 22:13 #10 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi John
just tried to pm you no joy

try putting an underscore instead of a space in your name and i will try again

Mickey

oooppppppppssssss :blush: maybe i should do the same

Last edit: 26 Aug 2008 22:13 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2008 22:44 #11 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:Using Mangroves/nitrate reduction
hi mickey
not to sure what you mean about the underscore but i will try to pm you and you cn just reply
john

More
27 Aug 2008 09:44 #12 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
problem must be my end did not receive your PM but i got one sent to you?!?????

here is a general link on mangrove topics and uses have not got through them all yet, (so much to learn so little time)

saltaquarium.about.com/od/aboutmangroves...Care_Information.htm

but maybe the Coil Denitrator might help

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2008 10:13 #13 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Using Mangroves/nitrate reduction
Use to get mine from Alan at Fish antics, used in the sump. once established are the best nitrate reducers around. be warned they grow TALL

More
27 Aug 2008 10:34 #14 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
thanks Russell
handy to know

• Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2008 17:58 #15 by john gannon (john gannon)
just a couple of quick questions on this
can mangroves go into a tank with m/halides or are they beter off in a sump
in a coil denitrater
do the bioballs work because the water is pushed trough the coil whereas in a external filter apparently they cause high nitrates
if someone with not a lot of experience was to do a diy project cause more harm by not getting flow right[nitrites]
i know i said a few quick querstions but finally would you be able to buy one of these at hayling island and any idea of cost
john

More
27 Aug 2008 18:31 #16 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi john,

i have not got through all the stuff on the denitrater but i will go through it in a while and send on anything of interest

you may welll find it at hayling if there is any reps froms hagen etc do i have to say i only have seen it mention state side of the pond and an off the shelf one would require a different power rating then ours but i will look around

AS for the mangroves they grow widely in Florida and Hawaii and around the pacific so i cant see it being a problem do Russel might be a better person to answer this.

More
28 Aug 2008 10:08 #17 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
came across this link first steps when mangroves arrive

saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsit...m/lib11/manstart.htm

• Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2008 15:51 #18 by john gannon (john gannon)
picked up some mangroves today in sea horse ireland [10 euro a plant],my nitrates are at 30ppms and my po4 are 0.25 .i put them in the filter jewel filter box and left the punp on to allow plenty of flow through them .i will test in a couple of days and let yous know if theyve made a difference
thanks john

More
02 Sep 2008 16:31 #19 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
HI John
great to hear that you got them
:woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :woohoo: i would be very interested in how you get on as i am sure will many others!

as these would be great for both marine and brackish tanks and would only inhanse any project that they are used in.

looking forward to hearing more on this

mickey

• Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Sep 2008 09:50 #20 by john gannon (john gannon)
i cant beleive my eyes
day1 nitrates=40
phosphates=0
day 2 nitates=0
phosphates=0
thanks mickey

More
04 Sep 2008 11:23 - 04 Sep 2008 11:24 #21 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
cheers John

that is great news:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i am so pleased to hear this!!!!!!!!!

please keep us up dated on your progress, i am sure i am not the only one who will be watching this space.

Mickey

Last edit: 04 Sep 2008 11:24 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods).

More
14 Sep 2008 12:46 #22 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
I guys.
I'm getting the same result with some macroalgare (caluerpa).

a little piece of liverock with caluerpa reduced the nitrates from 20 to 0 in my 125 litres tank.

the backdraw of it seems to br that if the caluerpa doesn't have enough nutrients then it bleach and it dissolves in two days polluting the whole tank.

but I'm generous with the food so I hope this problem won't arise.

Ciao
Mirko

More
14 Sep 2008 12:55 #23 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
and I have to say the process takes 2/3 weeks to start.
that's why i bouth on ebay some mangroves that I think I won't use.
does anyone want it?

Ciao
Mirko

More
15 Sep 2008 00:21 #24 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Great news john getting your Nitrates down.
I might be interested mirko. Do you know what type they are?

More
15 Sep 2008 07:20 #25 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
Rhizophora mangle, red mangrove.
they are 10, have roots and leaves and are btw 15 and 24 inches.

they sprout from saltwater so (I read) they cannot be used on freshwater.

the only problem. I bought them one week ago and I didn't get them yet.
isn't it funny that if you buy something from us or australia it arrives in 3 days but if you buy something from england it takes ages?

More
15 Sep 2008 15:27 #26 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
platty252 wrote:

Great news john getting your Nitrates down.
I might be interested mirko. Do you know what type they are?

I think they are arrived (I don't want to open the package in the office).
I'll have a look at them and I let you know ok?

Ciao
Mirko

More
15 Sep 2008 17:28 - 15 Sep 2008 17:33 #27 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
I was right.
they are arrived.

I'll take make my experiments with 4 of them so whoever wants the other 6 here I am.

notice that some of them have no leaves yet so if someone wants to experiment them on fresh water they should (but I can't guarantie) be fine.

sorry guys the above is untrue.
once the leaves OR the roots have been developed the plant must stay on the same kind of water from where it sprout of.
nontheless I will have a goo and try two of them on my fresh tank.

Ciao
Mirko
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 17:33 by mirko (Mirko Bianco).

More
17 Oct 2008 13:46 #28 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
hi John Gannon and Mirko

i was just wondering how things are going i am sure many people would be interested in knowing if the mangrove have made difference or not
Mickey

More
17 Oct 2008 13:56 #29 by mirko (Mirko Bianco)
Nitrates = 0

does it help? :)

the plants i put on the freshwater died though...

Ciao
Mirko

More
17 Oct 2008 14:04 #30 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
cheers Mirko
can not complain about that

Mickey

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds