Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Clown Fish - Behaviour question

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Valerie (Valerie)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2008 16:46 #1 by Valerie (Valerie)
Clown Fish - Behaviour question was created by Valerie (Valerie)
Hi,

I was at a friend's house. She has a 125l tank with 2 clown fish, 2 seahorses and 1 cleaner shrimp.

One of the clown fish was 'resting' on a flat horizontal rock, leaning slightly on its side and 'play' dead, sitting still, for a few seconds, swim around on itself a little and start again. The other clown fish swam around, a short distance away.
This 'funny' clown fish is well able to swim around, and would go towards the surface of the tank if a human hand reached out as if food was about to be thrown in. He did get back to this behaviour afterwards.
Would this be the prelude to a spawning session ?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Valerie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2008 20:27 #2 by bryanw (bryan woods)
my clownfish was doing the exact same thing about 1 month ago,
i then bought a powerhead (not because of the clownfish \"playing dead\")
and this behavior completly stopped i still don't know what this beahavior is about but it is notthing to do with spawning as they still haven't bread!:P

hope this helps,
bryan

More
19 Mar 2008 23:25 #3 by kieronr (kieronr)
Hi Valerie,my guess is that the subordinate clown is acting passively towards its partner.Is it only happening when they are near each other ?.My pair spend most of the time sorting out who's boss,usually the female and i've seen this behaviour alot of times since i've had them.

More
21 Mar 2008 16:47 #4 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
I have worked in Forrest`s hatchery I hope this info helps.

www.dynastymarine.net/Publications/Raisi...for_the_Hobbyist.pdf

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds