Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My 90L marine setup

More
21 Oct 2008 12:46 - 21 Oct 2008 17:08 #1 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Hi!

Read and asked some questions here long time and now ready to introduce my 90L \"Jewel Record\" marine tank.

Tank is 7 month old and is running on natural Atlantic Ocean water + tap water as top ups (will be installing RO unit soon)

First list of equipment used:

- \"Jewel Record 90\" tank
- \"Hagen Fluval 105\" external filter (I remove all media and placed there some Live Rock leftovers and Fluval phosphate remover and \"ROWA\" carbon)
- \"TMC V2 Skim 120 Nano\" skimmer (is placed in filter chamber - just need to pushed it there really hard :))
- 2 \"Koralia 1\" (I didn't install flow heads to get more soft flow)
- small pump from \"Resun SK-05\" skimmer which I don't use.
- I changed original 18W light to 1 25W \"Arcadia Blue Actinic\" and install 2x36W \"Interpet White Blue 50/50 Compact T8 Lights\" which give me 97W of light. I put them on timers so, blue actinic starts/stops 2 hours before/after main lights to imitate sunrise/sunset. Also, I have blue LEDs installed to imitate moonlight.
- The light give me temperature problems, so I have to install 5 computer fans into lid to reduce temperature. At the moment they work on timer, but soon it will be temperature controller to start them if temperature will be too high (27).

The Live Rocks and animals list:

- 22 kg of Live Rock
- 1 large red leg anemone
- 2 Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris) - 1 large 1 small and looks like they made up a pair
- 1 Labroides dimidiatus (Cleaner wrasse)
- 2 Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
- 1 Lawnmower blenny (Salarius fasciatus)
- 1 Sand starfish (Astropecten sp.)
- 1 Ophiotrichids starfish
- 1 black sea urchin (???)
- 1 doctor shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis), 1 fire shrimp (Lysmata debelius), 3 atlantic shrimps (???)
- 1 filter crab (Porcelain crab)
- 2 tubeworms (fanworms)
- 2 strombius snails (Strombus luhuanus)
- cleaners (blue legged hermit crabs, snails)

- 3 rocks with blue and red mushrooms...

Here is some pics of my tank... Start Up:

First life:

first fish:

rocks:

top of hood:

clownfish & anemone:

mushrooms:

tubeworm:

blennie:

starfishes:

fish:

shripms:

urchin:

WBRs
Sergei
Last edit: 21 Oct 2008 17:08 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2008 13:07 - 21 Oct 2008 13:09 #2 by Seany (Sean Phelan)
MC,

Looking good. Well Done!
Any further details on how you wired up the computer fans and retrofitted them into the hood. Looks the Biz!

Seany
Last edit: 21 Oct 2008 13:09 by Seany (Sean Phelan).

More
21 Oct 2008 16:29 #3 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Mc.
That tank looks brillant. Stunning pictures also,what is the first fish pic ? Funny looking creature! Love the clowns,really vibrant colours,they look healthy.
Much effort involved in it? Im hoping one day to get into marine but need to master the basics firstly in Tropical fresh before even daring to go to the salty side!
Gavin

More
21 Oct 2008 16:44 #4 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Thanks!

I'm sorry, can't give you better pics, but may be that's will help you:

I connected fans to 12V adaptor from Maplin and then to timer, LEDs are connected to 12V cheap adapter from ebay. Soon I will get rid of some leads, as I getting multicontroller to operate Lights, Fans, heater and pumps, but at the moment there is 10 sokets used :)

Here is some hood pics - there is 2 electronic ballasts fitted and wires to fans (red cables), LED and lights ;)

Also I have to cut hood to fit skimmer cup into it.

side fan to make air flow under hood to increase air conditioning ;)

I drilled it first to make some holes, then cut plastic with blade knive and finished with sime metall polishing tools (sorry don't know english name for it, but you can get them from B&Q).

I know it's getting corrosion, but I will change them soon anyway, `couse fans quite noisy and I will replase grills with black anticorrosion ones too ;)

More
21 Oct 2008 16:53 - 21 Oct 2008 17:12 #5 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Fishowner, thanks! I spend a lot of time to research and to organize my tank. My next tank will be bigger and fully DIY made (exept pumps and other equipment). Now I can tell it's not so hard and scarry as it looks from the start ;) All you need to do is 3 simple things (IMHO):

- get yourself pure water (RO with DI, specially if you want hard corals)
- get yourself GOOD skimmer within good-sized sump!
- TO BE PATIENT and wait untill tank mature and you can put first fish in it

Once you've done that everything else is simpe and brings you a lot of fun ;)

My tank not in best condition at the moment, I have green algae all over the place!!! :ohmy: I'm waiting on RO unit to try and see will it help me to get rid of it...

I lost 2 fishes at the moment - one clownfish died becouse of me (I tried to treat bacterial but only did worse) and second died one night after I bought it (it came in poor condition from shop so I replece it with another fish).

First fish is Lawnmower blennie or Salarius fasciatus
Last edit: 21 Oct 2008 17:12 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk).

More
21 Oct 2008 17:30 #6 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
very very nice.
and just in time for the photo competition.
beautiful pics

More
21 Oct 2008 17:34 #7 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Thanks! There is all pics, so maybe you'll find even better one ;)

photofile.name/users/mctarakan/95034933/

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Oct 2008 18:33 #8 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:My 90L marine setup
Wow - nice tank ! :-) Well done. Setting up a marine tank does sound scary to me all right ... a bit like Fishowner... I'll keep at the freshwater for now, and maybe one day... :-)

Thank you for the full 'guided' tour of your tank !

Indeed, why don't you enter the photo competition (with pictures you haven't published on the internet yet) ? You have until Sunday ! ;-)

Valerie

More
22 Oct 2008 17:37 #9 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Thanks, Valerie! Can you tell me how to enter that competition?

More
22 Oct 2008 17:49 #10 by stevieg (ALAN FLYNN)
nice setup mate well done

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2008 18:28 #11 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:My 90L marine setup
Sergei,

To enter the photo competition, you just need to send your entries to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. This month, you can enter 2 pictures and you can win a EUR100 voucher from Fish Antics.
See our home page for more details.

Looking forward to your entries.

Valerie

More
23 Oct 2008 17:21 #12 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Thanks! I put 2 photos and hope you'll like them ;)

• Loggser (Loggser)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2008 05:36 #13 by Loggser (Loggser)
Replied by Loggser (Loggser) on topic Re:My 90L marine setup
Nice setup GLWS ;)

More
11 Nov 2008 17:07 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Very nice set up, well done:)

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
12 Nov 2008 04:18 #15 by M.C. (Sergei Mistsuk)
Thanks! This tank is for sale now!

Here all details: www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/catid,34/id,41250/

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds