Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

buying liverock from somebody??

More
26 Feb 2010 10:48 #1 by johnyb (Jonathan Byrne)
I have my tank set up and running, salt is in so im ready for my live rock, i was going to buy it new however iv been offered it half price from a guy in work with large marine set up. my question is (1) is it ok to use liverock from someone elses tank in your new setup? (2) how will the cycling process work will it be a lot faster since the rock has been in his tank for 2 years??

thanks lads just wanna get this right from the start

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2010 11:01 #2 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
using matured live rock from another tank is fine. just make sure you have enough in the tank. remember it's your filtration. if you can move it in water even better(helps reduce die off) it can quicken the cycle but it will still take a couple of weeks to cycle it's not instant. there will be some die off from transport which will cause ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. just monitor you water params. get a good test kit. Like i said make sure you have enough live rock in at the start. you dont want to be adding any after you have live stock because the die off can cause spikes in your params. oh and a couple of power heads to circulate water around the rock to maximize filtration and cut down on dead spots. try use some egg crate, good for reducing dead spots and alsl if your rock falls it wont impact the glass directly.

More
26 Feb 2010 11:17 #3 by johnyb (Jonathan Byrne)
thanks for the reply lad

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2010 13:05 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:buying liverock from somebody??
Hi,

I've seen Egg crate mentioned a lot, where can it be found for sale?

Kev.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2010 13:19 #5 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:buying liverock from somebody??
Just to add to the above - make sure its nice looking live rock rather than be purely motivated by price. Its going to be a big feature in your tank.

I got badly stung with buying live rock that I hadn't seen from someone before - it was full of hair algae which was a nightmare to get rid of...

More
26 Feb 2010 13:41 #6 by sparky (sparky)
stretnik wrote:

Hi,

I've seen Egg crate mentioned a lot, where can it be found for sale?

Kev.

PM Sent

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

More
26 Feb 2010 14:19 #7 by irishfirepics (Dennis Prior)
ebay sell it cheap bit it's actually plastic light/air defusser for suspended ceilings so a building providers or suspended ceiling place should sell it.

look at
www.fnwairdiffusion.co.uk/eggcrateairreturngrilles.html

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds