Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Stupid Question time about Lighting

More
13 Apr 2007 14:54 #1 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi all,

Okay - I've got a 4 ft, 240 litre tank. It's got 2 x 36" "normal" T8 bulbs in it. By normal I mean these are the ones that came with the tank!

My tank has a number of Discus - a Blue Diamon, 2 Turks, and a few reddish/orangey Pidgeon Bloods. The tank has mostly bog wood in it, a few artificial plants, and one small live plant.

I've been told by a number of people that getting different bulbs will really enhance the colouring of the Discus. But what should I look to get? E.g I've seen Moonlight Blue T8's, Aqua Glo, etc, etc. I don't want to do anything that will upset the Discus, but is there anything I can get that will enhance their appearance through lighting, without unsettling them?

This might be a very dumb question - but I just need to ask. Most of the other articles on here are for Marine set-ups. Maybe how you light a Tropical/Freshwater tank doesn't really affect the fish - does it?

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2007 17:24 #2 by JohnH (John)
Robert,
I'm not especially well versed with lighting knowledge but can tell you that tubes with red enhancers - like the good old-fashioned (nowadays!) Gro-Lux will enhance the red colouration in your pigeon blood fish and whatever others have any red in them, but that is purely a colour-enhancement. My guess is that you are looking for some lighting which will actually cause the fish to be brighter as opposed to just look more colourful.
To my knowledge this isn't possible, but I'm open to correction.

John :roll:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
14 Apr 2007 03:23 #3 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Wasn't sure myself John. I've met people who have told me changing the lighting enhances the colouring - but what they mean I wasn't sure. Thought one of you could enlighten me...
(Couldn't resist that :lol: )

More
14 Apr 2007 04:58 #4 by JohnH (John)

Thought one of you could enlighten me...

Ouch!!! :shock:

As a post script...
I think Holger fitted his blue LEDs to enhance the blue colouring of his Discus, perhaps he can advise you more.

John :roll:

ITFS member.

More
14 Apr 2007 05:29 #5 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
I don't know if I've been clear on the question here having re-read the post. My question is around whether

1)the lighting will only affect how I will see the fish based on the reflection of colour (e.g. A Blue Light will reflect Blue colouring more, a Red Light will reflect Red colouring more, etc). This is more down to Physics than anything else I guess...

2) The fish will react in some way to different lighting and actually colour up more or less under certain lights.

I have a feeling the answer to this is Answer 1, above, but just want to check. If this is correct, I guess my next question is what combination of lighting do you guess recommend to get the best display affect if you've got a combination of Blue and Red/Orange fish?

Thanks again!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2007 02:54 #6 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Lighting
Lighting Discus should be done with thought!! Discus like subdued lighting this makes them feel at ease. if you have strong lighting they can get a bit spooky. also they like to blend into the background which is also important to them. The use of overhead plants will also benefit . remember they are shy & retiring fish and like to feel secure in there enviroment. only then will you see the true colours. why go for artificial looks.
Breeding is a different matter.

More
22 Apr 2007 07:52 #7 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)

Lighting Discus should be done with thought!! Discus like subdued lighting this makes them feel at ease. if you have strong lighting they can get a bit spooky. also they like to blend into the background which is also important to them. The use of overhead plants will also benefit . remember they are shy & retiring fish and like to feel secure in there enviroment. only then will you see the true colours. why go for artificial looks.
Breeding is a different matter.

Hi Russell,

It's be really great to get a snap of your entire Tank set up. I've seen plenty of pics of yours with close-ups of your tank and your tank set up - but I don't think I've seen one yet with it from a distance to see the tank arrangements and see the lighting.

Do you have one that you could post - if it's not too much hassle?

Thanks a million!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Apr 2007 10:53 #8 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Lighting
[img][img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p18/russellie/tank.jpg[/img]
This is about 2 months ago before I had the Tefe's. since then it has changed a lot. will post an update soon[/img]

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 02:27 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Stupid Question time about Lighting
@ Russell,
hope you got rid of those bluegreen algae I seem to make out on the back of the tank :)

@Robert,

I agree with Russell, subdued lightning and a couple of floating plants will do wonders for you. Some people also use black sand (not glass!!!!). Use warmlight tubes. Run off the mill from any electrical supplier if they fit those Jewel fittings which I doubt. I replaced the lightning unit on my old Jewel 300. The costs can be neglected since a double starter unit will set you back about 45€ or two of those bulbs that fit Jewel tanks. The bit of timber you need will to built a new hood costs you around 20€. But in future you will be able to use bulbs that cost about 4€ each. amssive savings over the years.
John, mentioned that I fitted blue LED to the tank. This is not to enhance the blue colour in my fish but only serves as a moonlight effect for two hours after the main lights go off. Looks pretty cool. I wouldn't have installed it but my wife like the looks of it.

More
23 Apr 2007 09:46 #10 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
So not the be outdone by Russell, Holger - are you going to post any pics of your tanks in any of these forums???

:D :twisted: :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 09:49 #11 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Stupid Question time about Lighting
if somebody tells me how to shrink the pictures to 25kb or thereabouts so I can upload them to photobucket. Only have dial up at home

More
23 Apr 2007 12:18 #12 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
I have never used Photobucket - but on Flickr you have the capability to upload all pictures to a certain dimensioning. You can vary it about a bit.

I'm just looking at Photobucket now - never seen it before it looks interesting... I see that it offers you the chance to upload all your photos, videos, and images to Photobucket for free and make slideshows and remixes. When I said not to be outdone by Russell - you really are going the whole 9 yards now aren't you???

:D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 12:46 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Yep, sure will. Next time you are Cork you are more than welcome to pop in

• ChrisM (ChrisM)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 12:55 #14 by ChrisM (ChrisM)
Replied by ChrisM (ChrisM) on topic Re: Stupid Question time about Lighting
Holger

Open image in Paint

Click Image> Stretch/Skew>
Type Horizontal> 25> Vertical>25
Click OK

Your image will have been quartered in dimension.Now Click File>Save as> JPEG.

Wherever you have the image saved go to it and right click >properties and you will see the size in KB instead of MB!

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 13:03 #15 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Algea
Hi Holger

You always notice something!!!!! Yes the algea is no longer . I think the Co2 had something to do with it, since using a spare canister filter charged with Peat Granuels I have no prob, also the Ph is realy stable. I have knocked the Co2 on the head. considering the tank recieves all day light I get hardly any algea, only occasional spotting,

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 13:09 #16 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Photobucket

if somebody tells me how to shrink the pictures to 25kb or thereabouts so I can upload them to photobucket. Only have dial up at home

Holger: I to am on dial up, if you upload to photobucket they are automaticaly resized when you copy and paste them to this site. have a look at mine. go to my website in russells profile and click the link. a lot of the photo.s were uploaded at high res. the uplaod time is quite quick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Apr 2007 16:03 #17 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Russell,
the problem is getting them from my PC to Photobucket. The upload from photobucket to the forum I could do at work

Holger

More
27 Apr 2007 07:46 #18 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Hi Holger,

Did you ever get this sorted? Would love to see your tank set-up.
And Russell - any new snaps of your Discus? Would love to see them in the overall tank.

No pressure lads but you have some competition in LuxTom!!! :D

Rob

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Apr 2007 08:59 #19 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Hi
Hi
Yes!! Tom has a nice set up. we all have at some time. It helps if you have decent water to start with. Plants can easily overun a tank and to keep it in pristine condition also takes a lot of work. This is not to detract from his set up and also goes to show the diversity of the Tefe's.

More
29 Apr 2007 02:59 #20 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

So not the be outdone by Russell, Holger - are you going to post any pics of your tanks in any of these forums???

:D :twisted: :D

I will pay for the stamp for Holger to post a glossy photo or CD to Anthony to up load by site admin, still I think Holger is to clever to do this as we would have loads of material for months to post in the social and rubbish section, if he did. :wink:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
29 Apr 2007 03:10 #21 by JohnH (John)

No pressure lads but you have some competition in LuxTom!!!

Who he?

Presumably from a different (Discus?) Forum?

John

ITFS member.

More
29 Apr 2007 03:15 #22 by Chief Robert (Chief Robert)
Holger posted a link to Toms tank in the Discus Forum here
irishfishkeepers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1288
but Tom had already joined ITFS and replied as LuxTom

Nice thread to read...

More
01 Feb 2008 13:22 #23 by viking (Viking Stalion)
Just one Thing Robert,
There is no stupid question,Only Stupid answer,
so no wories.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds