Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tetratec 1200 hose problems

More
15 Apr 2007 17:55 #1 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I have two 1200's and sing their praises, that was until tonight. I had never tried to disconnect the piping from the inlet pipe or the spray bar for cleaning. I eventually managed to get the piping off the spray bar - basically the tubing just pushes on and a nut is screwed up over the end to hold it there - it was extremely tight to get off but IMPOSSIBLE to get back on. I can slide the tubing back over the end of the spray bar, but there is no way I can get the nut up far enough to screw it back to the spray bar, it is as if the wall of the tubing has expanded since it was new. Anyone ever come across this problem and what did you do. I still love the tetratec, but just a little less so now!

Daragh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2007 19:14 #2 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
You can buy another length of tubing for it, alternatively you can cut the tubing so that you have "fresh" tubing to slide over the plastic spray bar etc...

Last time I was in Aquatic Village they had the lenths of hose there...think they were 8 euro a pop. Maybe try if you can get them through their online store, 20% off that way.

More
15 Apr 2007 20:25 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hey, i will bring this prob. up with the rep/tetra. n let you know.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 01:09 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Tetratec 1200 hose problems
Darragh,
just put the hose into boiling water for a couple of seconds. I t will become very pliable and just push it onto the spraybar.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 02:55 #5 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Tetra Tec
Having just tried the Tetra Tec 1200 I am impressed, a greatv turnover rate Quiet and simple to use. I know the problem with the hose connection. make sure it is a clean level cut. if the end has even the slightest Bir on the end or is uneven it will mess up the seal. as stated just get a cup of hot water stick the end in for a few seconds and it witll slip on easy.

More
16 Apr 2007 04:22 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Thought about cutting the end off, but I dont think it would have made any difference, the hose wall if anything would be thinner where the nut had been clamped over it. Don't fancy buying a new hose everytime I clean them, though I am sure Tetra would not mind.

And I should have mentioned I tried the hot water idea too, that actually made thing worse as it softened the hose which made it even harded to try and move the nut along it to screw to the spraybar.

Will be interesting to here what Tetra rep says.

Daragh

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 04:41 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
That sounds like a pain in the hole. Why not just use an ordinary pipe/hose connection? I've never seen one slip in 30 odd years.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 09:24 #8 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Tetra Tec
Sound the best idea. Eheim do a double connector so you can uncouple the hose midway. solves all the problems. but check pipe dimensions first.

More
16 Apr 2007 10:34 #9 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I have a tetratec 700 so I'm sure its the same, you don't screw the nut towards the spray bar over the hose. It works in the opposite direction. You have to attach the bolt first all the way to to the spray bar, then put the hose on. Then when all is in place you screw the bolt downwards onto the hose thus locking it in place. I had the same problem myself when I took it apart first time.

Hope this solves your problem

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
16 Apr 2007 10:40 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
This might also help. The picture shows how the parts should look before assembly, i.e. showing the bolt in the position before it is screwed down (not up).

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
17 Apr 2007 02:27 #11 by monty (monty)
tanks_alot,

You are right. I ran into the same problem as you and Daragh when I first cleaned my hoses. It took a while looking at it to figure out the approach to putting it back on was wrong. You do need to put the nut onto the spray bar, push the pipe on and then screw the nut down over the hose. I must have been reading the instructions first time....

Monty

More
17 Apr 2007 03:29 #12 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
Just a quick question, how do you clean the hose? I have just looked at mine and its pretty yellow inside...but the tank water is clean which is strange!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Apr 2007 03:41 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
the yellow stuff is probably calcium deposit with some bacteria growing on it. Plenty of nutrients flowing past them. Nothing to worry about unless they become excessive.
Easiest way to clean a hose is to buy a hosebrush. You can use a bottle brush and attach some wire to the end of the bottle brush. Stick the wire through the hose and just pull the brush through the hose. You might have to repeat that a couple of times

More
17 Apr 2007 03:48 #14 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)

More
17 Apr 2007 16:03 #15 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Thanx tanks_alot you're a genius, no wonder I had problems! Tetratec are back in my good books again. :D

Daragh

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds