Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

jewel heaters

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • john gannon (john gannon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 16:15 #1 by john gannon (john gannon)
jewel heaters was created by john gannon (john gannon)
hi all
just wondering about jewel heaters ,are they set soas not to raise the temp above 25deg.i put the heater from a rio 300 into a jewel 96 and it wont raise the temp above 25.[raising temp for med]could the heater be broke or are they just crap
thanks
john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2007 16:27 #2 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re: jewel heaters
Hi,
I have the exact problem and ended up having to add another heater in the tank to crank the temp up to 30 deg.
Anybody ? Any ideas ? :wink:
Thanks.
Valerie

More
19 Apr 2007 16:48 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I had the oppisite problem, could not get a 200w juwel to keep a tank lower than 23. Just crap I guess. I like the Sera heaters with built in guard, but the flex is very short. Tetratec too seem to be good and there flex is extremely long.

Daragh

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Apr 2007 01:10 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: jewel heaters
Eheim Jaeger heaters are very good and very energy efficient compared to what else is out there. the 300w modell gets my 600l tank to 34 degrees, no problem You can also calibrate them yourself

More
13 May 2007 04:05 #5 by gemma (gemma)
Replied by gemma (gemma) on topic Re: jewel heaters
I currently have the same problem mine wont go past 24 degrees I was told in the fish shop it should go to 29

More
13 May 2007 06:10 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: jewel heaters

I currently have the same problem mine wont go past 24 degrees I was told in the fish shop it should go to 29

Like the lady on the TV ad says...'If something doesn't do what it's supposed to, bring it back!'

It's a sad fact of life that you only get what you pay for.
The Juwel concept is great for the retailer in thay they sell everything in one package and even better for the purchaser for pretty much the same reason. You just buy everything in the one package, take it home and add water! - Hassle free!

Unfortunately all the Juwel stuff seems to me to be made to a price rather than to any sort of specification.

So, take the heater(s) back to your respective LFS, they can give you a replacement (which you should insist upon seeing that it does what is claimed for it)...then the shop just hands the offending one(s) over to the Juwel rep next time he/she attends for replacement - job done!

Back to the lady in the ad: 'If you know your rights you won't go wrong'.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
13 May 2007 08:06 #7 by gemma (gemma)
ah yes thats easier said than done in my case the fish shop had changed owners before I had set the fish tank up :( :( :(

More
13 May 2007 12:23 #8 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: jewel heaters
juwel hasn't changed though...if the new owners are Juwel agents it would be very good PR to still change it for you...ask them, and if they refuse to then take your business elsewhere!!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 May 2007 13:25 #9 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: jewel heaters
You just have to know how to use them.
Wind it all the way back to minus and so it can`t go back anymore. Then it works like a clock. Nine o clock is 25c and 10 is about 26c and so on.
If you wind it too far it just resets.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 04:05 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: jewel heaters
Worst design ever IMO.

I mean really, would it have killed them to include a simple dial on the top?

Even the cheapest POS heater you can buy has that.

More
14 May 2007 04:12 #11 by gemma (gemma)
well mine has a dial on the top and its at 32 but is only heating to 24 I'll bring it back and see what happens anyway :)

• Tom Meaden (Tom Meaden)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 04:55 #12 by Tom Meaden (Tom Meaden)
Replied by Tom Meaden (Tom Meaden) on topic Re: jewel heaters
Hi Gemma,
I removed my juwel heater for the very same reason,i have a juwel vision 450 and i use two 300 watt heaters,i think the eheim/jaeger heaters are about the most reliable heaters on the market.not bad prices.
Try this sight www.seame.com i use these guy's for various product's excellent service too!
Tom

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 08:00 #13 by Didihno (Didihno)

well mine has a dial on the top and its at 32 but is only heating to 24 I'll bring it back and see what happens anyway :)

Really?
Neither of mine did!

Well now that I think of it the one in the 400 tank defo doesn't.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 10:12 #14 by Anthony (Anthony)

Really?
Neither of mine did!

Well now that I think of it the one in the 400 tank defo doesn't.

Are you sure the petshop did not just sell you a black stick instead of a heater. :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 15:31 #15 by Didihno (Didihno)
Let me bring the black stick with me next time we meet..... :twisted:

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 May 2007 17:41 #16 by Anthony (Anthony)

Bring it with you on Wednesday and get your ass on over to the meeting.
People..You`s are missing a great chance to share and recieve info on the fish we keep. :wink:

More
15 May 2007 03:52 #17 by gemma (gemma)
well in saying that I bought a rekord 60 yesterday and its + and - on the top of that heater it works fine tho

More
15 May 2007 09:05 #18 by koinonia (koinonia)

would love to but wednesday i have other committments

More
15 May 2007 11:14 #19 by Zoom (Zoom)
Replied by Zoom (Zoom) on topic Re: jewel heaters
I found the jewel heaters to be totally bad and know of alot of others who had the same problem and needed to add an additional heater , like others have said, I purchased a Eheim Jaeger heater and haven't looked back the only down side to the Jaeger i have is that the 300 watt is huge and can take over the whole back of the tank , other than that i have to recommend them highly and the 300watt is good to heat a 600- 1000 liter tank as i said they are much larger than normal aquarium heaters and a 150 watt is good for 200-300 litres of water at a reasonable price.

More
25 May 2007 14:32 #20 by HairyMolly (damien kenny)
I've had the same problem with jewel aquarium heaters durning the winter months which resulted in several deaths of my stock , over a cold period of 2 weeks which seen temperatures in my tank drop to 18 degree's at the time durning the night while the thermostat was set to 28. i discovered what was happening and i had to replace the jewel heater and everything is fine now.They really are rubbish.

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jun 2007 08:13 #21 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Jewl heaters
On problem with the jewel heaters can be caused if the PUMP is not running at full capacity, in as much as the water flow within the Filter box that houses the heater has a slow movement of water around it. the thermostat will not recognise the drop in temp and the cut in period will be out.i.e the water flow around the heater stat is to slow.

More
17 Jun 2007 11:02 #22 by scorphonic (Kieran Crosbie Staunton)
I have a Juwel heater, Tetra heater and a JBL heater. The JBL is by far the best heater out of the three simply because the design is amazing (looks wise!!) and I've not experienced any problems with it yet as well as the heat light is pretty bright.

More
10 Feb 2008 23:13 #23 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I had a suspicion my juwel heater was not doing too good.Last night the tank was at 20deg,tonight 24deg.Its a juwel rekord60,only set up about 5mths ago.I'm not taking any more chances,off to get a decent one tomorrow.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
09 Aug 2008 11:38 #24 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi all

i have almost ordered a juwel heater for my little 60
because i want it in the filter box

does anyone know what other model will fit
in the juwel compact super filter

thanks

More
09 Aug 2008 14:05 #25 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I think most heaters will fit in the filter box except the Eheim Jagger models, which although excellent heaters are tooooo long. They are at least 50% longer than most other models of similar wattage.

Daragh

More
09 Aug 2008 17:46 #26 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
JBL heater should fit in the filter box. The Jager heaters are the best I've come across, but the are looooong. A 300w one will fit in the filter box of a Rio 300 though.

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds