Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tubing Question

More
06 Mar 2013 13:19 #1 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Lads, need some advice. I have an aquarium pump that I bought to help emptying/refilling the aquarium. I originally bought it to put the water into big buckets, but dragging these about turned out to be more strain on the back than refilling with smaller buckets.

I am now thinking of using it again, but this time running the hose to the toilet or sink, rather than into a bucket (live in an apt so out the window is not possible). Now to finally come to my question. The current hose that is on it I believe is 16/22 mm and 2 meteres long. This is not long enough to reach the bathroom. Is it possible to get some sort of connector that I can add to this existing tube, to attach a length of garden hose so that it can reach to the bathroom for the emptying? As far as I can tell the garden hose diameter is to small to go on to pump outlet, and is a different size to my existing tube. I have tried to google it but have no idea what I am looking for, if it exists at all, or what it would be called!

Hope that made sense, any help would be appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2013 13:50 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Hi,there's two things you can do!
Firstly if possible take the existing hose to a hard ware like woodies or bnq
And see what gauge hose they have to make an extension,
Chances are they will have something simular!
And some sort of connections!

Secondly you could gently heat the end of a length of garden hose
With a lighter or tealight candle untill it gets soft and push it over the outlet of your pump
And secure it gently with a jubalee clip,
If you do try this have a practice go with an off cut of hose
About a foot in length.
Hope this helps!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Mar 2013 15:11 #3 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Replied by Deaglan (Deaglan) on topic Tubing Question

With a lighter or tealight candle untill it gets soft and push it over the outlet of your pump
About a foot in length.

This is probably your best bet! instead of a tealight or lighter try boiling water or a hairdryer!

260l South American Community tank

More
06 Mar 2013 15:36 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

About a foot in length.

This is probably your best bet! instead of a tealight or lighter try boiling water or a hairdryer!

Hairdryer would take forever,
And boiling water probably would be a bit messy having to
Get towels to stop from your hands burning,
Besides you want the end of the hose to be quite soft
Other wise you may break the outlet of your pump if it's not!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Mar 2013 16:10 #5 by Deaglan (Deaglan)
Replied by Deaglan (Deaglan) on topic Tubing Question
I've often used a hair dryer or boiling water when replacing hoses on return pumps.
The water was the quickest way I found for doing this, Pour water straight from just boiled kettle into a cup and put the end of the hose straight into it. After about 10 seconds or so the hose is very supple and should slide straight on the output of the pump.

260l South American Community tank

More
06 Mar 2013 16:18 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Id agree with the boiling water!!!!
Done it loads of times for various applications

More
06 Mar 2013 16:22 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Boiling water gets my vote too.

More
06 Mar 2013 16:45 #8 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

There you go!
If you want to do it loads of times use water!
Ive done it once on an outside tap 7 years ago and it's still connected
Mind you I didn't use a tealight or lighter
I used a turbo torch!
Either way I hope you get it sorted you only get one chance with your back!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Mar 2013 22:45 #9 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)
Cheers for all the replies lads, really appreciate it! Will give the ideas a go and let you know how I get on! :)

More
06 Mar 2013 22:58 #10 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
PompeyBill
Hi,
If you go to your local auto parts store and ask for a 16mm to 12mm ID reducer connection, problem solved
jim

More
07 Mar 2013 01:41 - 07 Mar 2013 01:43 #11 by frankie (francois jacusse)
What king of aquarium pump are you using to empty your bucket. I'm using a large bucket to do my WC but carrying it around, is a standard waterpump suitable for the job?
Last edit: 07 Mar 2013 01:43 by frankie (francois jacusse).

More
07 Mar 2013 13:35 #12 by PompeyBill (Killian Walshe)

What king of aquarium pump are you using to empty your bucket. I'm using a large bucket to do my WC but carrying it around, is a standard waterpump suitable for the job?

I was/am using an Allpondsolutions pump that I got on Amazon (Submersible Aquarium Water Pump 1800 Litres per Hour). It does the job fine. The reason I went with this one was because my tank is a tall one so wanted to make sure it could pump the water high enough, which it can with no issues. I think any standard waterpump should do the job, but maybe someone else could advise, I had to contact the supplier on this one because I had no idea if I was getting the right thing for the job, totally clueless on these sort of things, and would hate to order the wrong thing!

PompeyBill
Hi,
If you go to your local auto parts store and ask for a 16mm to 12mm ID reducer connection, problem solved
jim

Thanks Jim. If the methods above doesn't work, I will definitely look into this!

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds