Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Water Purification / Filtration Device

More
25 Apr 2013 20:58 #1 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Guys, came across this product but don't know anything about it. Claims to keep water crystal clear for up to a year due to patented silver, ceramic, calcium carbonate device that preferentially attracts and binds bacteria in the water and thereby prevents biofilms....

What would this do to your filter?? Is this as mad as it sounds??? Irish company.

Here's the web link

aqua-precision.com/products/

Anyone in the know be in a position to comment? Ian, I know you would understand this and be well positioned to comment on whether or not these claims are based on solid science...

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2013 21:39 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I don't know this product, but I will comment on the potential of the claims.

It's has a trade-mark thing called a "SilverSan"......that is a silver based mesh.

Silver happens to have, to my knowledge, the best oligodynamic effect of an antimicrobial metal that is also of very very low toxicity to mammals.

As a note, mercury also has great oligodynamic effect.....but is more than just a tad toxic to us. ;)

Silver is a super anti-micrtobial, and has been used for centuries as such. There is good reason for that, and it is probably that simple principle that is the basis of this device.

So.....scientifically, the claims are sound in principle.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
25 Apr 2013 21:42 #3 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

It's has a trade-mark thing called a "SilverSan"......that is a silver based mesh.

Silver happens to have, to my knowledge, the best oligodynamic effect of an antimicrobial metal that is also of very very low toxicity to mammals.

As a note, mercury also has great oligodynamic effect.....but is more than just a tad toxic to us. ;)

Silver is a super anti-micrtobial, and has been used for centuries as such. There is good reason for that, and it is probably that simple principle that is the basis of this device.

ian

What risks should I be concerned with if I went ahead and added it to my discus tank? Would you use it yourself Ian now that you see what is being claimed? Would it affect my filter bacteria at all? Thx!!

More
25 Apr 2013 21:55 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

ian

What risks should I be concerned with if I went ahead and added it to my discus tank? Would you use it yourself Ian now that you see what is being claimed? Would it affect my filter bacteria at all? Thx!!

I didn't read fully the claims.....all I did was see the word "SilverSan" and that they 'purification'.

The key to this would be in knowing exactly the structure and form of the silver and to know if they have tried to coat the calcium carbonate with silver or not.

I would certainly want to test a water sample for nitrates as a first test, and also for ammonia (as an after thought) before even thinking of using it for fish.

As said, the basic principle of using silver as an antimicrobial is very sound.....and pretty safe.
I would, however, want to know more about the fabrication process before usingh it with fish.

There is calcium carbonate in it apparently.....now if intended for use for tapwater then that is one thing, but whow does it react to the fact that discus tank may have an pH much lower than the average tap-water.

Would I use it?.......If I did then I would call it an experiment to see its effect on fish, but as I have gravel cleaners (powered gravel cleaners), cotton wool swabs, water changes and not over feeding at hand for my discus I doubt I would experiment.
So.....I won't be using it as my discus tanks are pretty clean and I know how effective silver is an antimicrobial ;)

ian

More
25 Apr 2013 22:03 #5 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

ian

I didn't read fully the claims.....all I did was see the word "SilverSan" and that they 'purification'.

The key to this would be in knowing exactly the structure and form of the silver and to know if they have tried to coat the calcium carbonate with silver or not.

I would certainly want to test a water sample for nitrates as a first test, and also for ammonia (as an after thought) before even thinking of using it for fish.

As said, the basic principle of using silver as an antimicrobial is very sound.....and pretty safe.
I would, however, want to know more about the fabrication process before usingh it with fish.

There is calcium carbonate in it apparently.....now if intended for use for tapwater then that is one thing, but whow does it react to the fact that discus tank may have an pH much lower than the average tap-water.

Would I use it?.......If I did then I would call it an experiment to see its effect on fish, but as I have gravel cleaners (powered gravel cleaners), cotton wool swabs, water changes and not over feeding at hand for my discus I doubt I would experiment.
So.....I won't be using it as my discus tanks are pretty clean and I know how effective silver is an antimicrobial ;)

ian

Good enough for me Ian! I'm not experimenting with my tank...I'll wait and see if this particular product takes off for this hobby...thanks as ever. Brian

More
25 Apr 2013 22:20 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Hope I was of some help.

If you fancy knowing how silver works, then I'd be much more in my comfort zone telling you that.........but thankfully for you, I'm more into talking about electronic music synthesis tonight on FaceBook :) (some would call us a bunch of nerds)

ian

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds