Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Heating a fishroom

More
12 Jun 2013 20:59 #1 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
Hi looking for your thoughts on heating a fishroom, 8x6 shed with 4 inches of foil backed insulation sheets all round. was thinking of centralised filtration with an air ring and sponge filters and a 120L sump tank with heaters and K1 and a return pump to circulate heated water back to tanks 3@ 48 x18x12 2@ 48x18x15 and 3@36x15x12.... any suggestions welcome. :huh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 21:28 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
only worry with what your planning i see is the sump, if one tank gets a disease it will rapidly spread to the others

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
12 Jun 2013 21:32 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Personally I'm not a fan of a central system because in the event of a fail it affects every tank which I always feared would end up quite devastating. Also there is little possibility of isolating a single tank if needed unless it is designed with that in mind and plumbed with a heap of ball valves. It can also make it difficult to obtain certain params in seperate tanks if needed for certain species.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
13 Jun 2013 00:40 #4 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
Thanks Davey and Seamus, what I am looking at is trying to keep running costs down, heating the sump and circulating the heated water around the tanks. what about heating the room instead? or do you think I should go with 1 heater per tank? (expensive?)

More
13 Jun 2013 11:20 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
If you have facilities to heat the room it works better there will be a temp difference between the lower tanks and the higher ones of a few degrees but not enough to worry about. And it should work out more inexpensive than individually heating the tanks

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
13 Jun 2013 11:40 #6 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
What about controlling the temperatures to desired levels for specific species . This could be difficult without individual heaters ?

More
13 Jun 2013 14:17 #7 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
Think I am going to go with a 1kw oil filled radiator with a thermostatic control also has an overheat cutout, Think this should be sufficient as the footprint of the space left after insulating the shed is only 7ft x 5ft 3 ins.

More
13 Jun 2013 19:16 - 13 Jun 2013 19:17 #8 by Mike53 (Michael)
Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic Heating a fishroom
I would suggest if you can to beef up your insulation as much as you can to walls and roof and floor if possible. Make sure the insulation is tightly packed and tape it at joints. Any windows should be boarded up too. Standard new houses these days are getting 140mm insulation (6 inches min) and that's within a cavity wall. Seal all doors and gaps around doors and make as air tight as possible. Cracks and gaps cause drafts and are a major source of heat loss. This will help keep heating costs down. :)
Mike
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 19:17 by Mike53 (Michael).

More
13 Jun 2013 19:59 - 13 Jun 2013 20:01 #9 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin)
I am using the 25mm foil backed "kingspan" type insulation, which I am told is twice the insulation value of styrofoam, so in theory I have the equivalent of 8 inches of styrofoam. At the moment it is just insulated nothing else done yet (racks etc to be put in soon I hope) I went out there in the afternoon last week during the hot weather. (Our 4 day Summer haha!!!) and despite the sun beating down on it all day it was like walking into an air conditioned room.
So hopefully if it is keeping the heat out now, it will keep the heat in when I want it to !!
Last edit: 13 Jun 2013 20:01 by k.galvin (Kieran Galvin). Reason: addition to post

More
13 Jun 2013 20:17 #10 by blade (Michael G)
Hi ,

insulation is one thing ,but you require air changes / natural ventilation (with wall vents) a 110mm wavin pipe is sufficient , if you dont have sufficient air changes , you will get mildew , even dripping water from ceilings etc..

Some people forget this step , you probably took this in to consideration .

just thought id mention it.

good luck with build

Michael

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds