Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

All Pond Solutions / Sunsun Canister Filter 1400

More
20 Jul 2013 08:26 - 20 Jul 2013 09:57 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Has anyone used a Sunsun Canister Filter 1400 L/H with UV light? I did a google search and there is about three or four different names on the same filter, i was going to use this for my 190L african cichlid tank
what do you think or whats your oppinion ?

Something fishie going on here
Last edit: 20 Jul 2013 09:57 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: Name change for heading

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2013 09:55 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Found some info under another name for this filter

All Pond Solutions 1400EF plus Aquarium External Filter
Looks like they are cheap enough anyone know more info?

More
20 Jul 2013 10:06 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
They are made in PRC, and. A few different company's have them branded as their own (eg. APS) This happens a lot. One "respectable" company does this with chillers!
As to the filter itself, it's a ok filter, not that noisey, some parts a bit fiddly and weak, but overall its ok. I have seen them for about £60 to £75 + postage to Ireland. APS do not post to Ireland, but will send to Parcel Motel in the north, who will forward it on to you. (Thanks sheag35 for that info.) Same price as an similar Eheims Mail order. It's the long term running costs with cheaper filters that catch you in the end. 35w for the SubSun as to 8-10w for the Eheim or Tetra (of which it is a copy) or JBK.

More
20 Jul 2013 10:45 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
If it works as good as it looks they will be great I am a bit worriers about how cheap they are, how much would a 3 month old one be worth ?

More
20 Jul 2013 10:59 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
The price they are being offered in Hong Kong, and Mainland China is crazy, but the postage is a killer from some suppliers.
Cheap labour costs is a major factor in the low prices. And APS make a decent profit on each unit too!
I know of 3 being used, one guy got a second one, so I suppose that's recommendation enough.
Second hand at 3 months, about 30% off the new price. If its lower, snap it up. But if you search about, you should get them new at a decent price.
There was talk of Tetra taking a case about their design being copied, but Have heard nothing more about it, so they must have dropped it, or it was not true in the first place.

More
08 Aug 2013 09:49 #6 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I upgraded my filter on my 190L tank to a SunSun HW-304B 5-Stage External Canister Filter with 9-watt UV Sterilizer, 525 GPH
The last owner was using it on his 1000L tank so it should be good enough to keep me going for another upgrade on my
Tank in the near future. I am really impressed and I know it might be cheap but it gets thumbs up for now. Anyone have any experience with these filters I now have two 1 all ponds solution 1400 with 9-watt uv rated up to 500L and now this 2000 with 9-watt uv rated up to 1000L
Thanks for all the advice it has made things easy for me to buy these filters

More
08 Aug 2013 22:39 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
How do you find the 1400? Still deciding on a new external was thinking one of the all pond UVs or JBL e901

More
08 Aug 2013 23:26 #8 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

How do you find the 1400? Still deciding on a new external was thinking one of the all pond UVs or JBL e901

It's very good I heard people saying they are a bit loud but I think its perfect the water is crystal clear.
There is a few for sale but don't pay over the odds on a second hand one a new one is only around €100

More
08 Aug 2013 23:40 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Yeah I think either would cost about €100 can you adjust the output? Mine will be on a smaller tank for quite a while while I get around to an upgrade, don't want the fish stuck to the side of the tank from the flow

More
09 Aug 2013 02:04 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
There is no control on the flow but you can use a spray bar which seems ok.

More
27 Aug 2013 13:33 #11 by ket (keith byrne)
The 1400lh sun sun, on eBay for e76 delivered with out uv , I think an extra e10 with it.
I was thinking of getting one for my Malawi tank. e76 for a new filter that size is not bad!! ;)

More
27 Aug 2013 16:46 #12 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Last night was the first time to use the uv for a hour
I was after cleaning the inside of the tank so the water was bit dirty
But crystal clear after a short while. Can't fault the filter and they are good value new.

More
27 Aug 2013 17:18 - 27 Aug 2013 17:19 #13 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Video to follow

Last edit: 27 Aug 2013 17:19 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: Double post

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds