Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

nano heater

More
26 Aug 2013 21:13 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
does anyone know where to get a really small, discreet heater for nano aquaria? I have two tanks, one 2.75G and the other 3.5G, so I have precious little space to monkey around with. I don't want to take up too much tank space with a heater. I also want to be able to have the heater at a fairly low setting and not all go down as far as 20 or so degrees. any suggestions?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2013 21:45 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic nano heater
LJ, Have you considered a heat mat - the type used by reptile keepers?
I have one with three small tanks sitting on it and that kept them in the mid-70s all winter (in a heated room, I have to confess). When the weather got warm last month I had to turn it off completely but before then I had it running through a timer switch so that it only came on overnight (on the 'economy' tarrif) all Summer.
Can anyone add any suggestions for LJ?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 Aug 2013 22:07 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
There are couple of nano heaters in the shop, tiny little things, can't remember the price but I'm sure under €20
I'll check tomorrow for you, and PM you the details

More
26 Aug 2013 22:19 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

LJ, Have you considered a heat mat - the type used by reptile keepers?
I have one with three small tanks sitting on it and that kept them in the mid-70s all winter (in a heated room, I have to confess). When the weather got warm last month I had to turn it off completely but before then I had it running through a timer switch so that it only came on overnight (on the 'economy' tarrif) all Summer

that sounds like a great idea but I plan on both being shrimp tanks and I want to set the temp in the low 20s celsius

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
26 Aug 2013 22:23 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

There are couple of nano heaters in the shop, tiny little things, can't remember the price but I'm sure under €20
I'll check tomorrow for you, and PM you the details

cheers crusty!

More
26 Aug 2013 22:27 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic nano heater
I have 3 for sale.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Aug 2013 22:52 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
great. are the adjustable? what range?

More
18 Nov 2013 12:20 #8 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
Replied by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath) on topic nano heater
can anyone recommend an adjustable nano heater ?

More
18 Nov 2013 12:35 #9 by Homer (Kevin)

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
18 Nov 2013 13:26 #10 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/aquarium-heaters

H.

as always thanks Kev !

however it seems a bit long ( as the nun said to the bishop ) , any smaller ones on the market ?

More
18 Nov 2013 14:02 #11 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
seems like marineland and hydor do temp adjustable 25w heaters . Anyone heard or use either ?

More
18 Nov 2013 16:04 #12 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
the Aquael Plastic Easy Heater 25W .. looks perfect ..

More
18 Nov 2013 17:35 #13 by Homer (Kevin)

This is what I use and I find it perfect.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00061UQ6G

H.

More
18 Nov 2013 17:46 #14 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Replied by Stem12 (Stephen M) on topic nano heater
Hey,

I use a simple adjustable 25 watt heater quite small and is tucked behind a piece of moss on bog wood cant really notice it in my 19ltr,You can pick one up from most LFS's usually cheap, Hope you get sorted mate,

SM

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
18 Nov 2013 18:24 #15 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

This is what I use and I find it perfect.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00061UQ6G

H.

you get that from amazon or a store ?

More
18 Nov 2013 18:41 #16 by Homer (Kevin)
Came with a cheap Boyu a while ago.

H.

More
18 Nov 2013 19:05 #17 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)

Hey,

I use a simple adjustable 25 watt heater quite small and is tucked behind a piece of moss on bog wood cant really notice it in my 19ltr,You can pick one up from most LFS's usually cheap, Hope you get sorted mate,

SM

whats the brand ? thanks

More
18 Nov 2013 21:26 #18 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
i have the superfish nano heater in one of my nano tank and the aquael neoheater in the other one and both do a great job. i did a lot of internet research before and couldnt find any adjustable heaters smaller.they all seem to be 16 or 17 cm long.

More
18 Nov 2013 21:42 - 18 Nov 2013 21:43 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Here you go, this is running my 20 Litre.

www.seahorseaquariums.com/Theo-50w-Heater//2919

It is tiny !

H.

Last edit: 18 Nov 2013 21:43 by Homer (Kevin).

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds