Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tropical fish filtration

More
17 Sep 2013 15:58 - 17 Sep 2013 15:59 #1 by newkie (Chris Green)
Hi there, I'm a long time fish keeper but haven't kept tropical fish for 20 years. Back in the day I used a Fluval external filter: sponge > carbon > ceramic rings (mechanical > chemical> biological).

So it's been a long time and thoughts of the best tropical fish filter media may have changed some. What is the best method now? Does anyone still use mechanical filtration and do you vary the sponge types (course > medium > fine)? Does carbon still have a place in modern tropical fish filters? I'm certainly planning on using it while I cycle and if I ever have any water quality crisis or need to remove meds. And bio media, there seems to be new stuff like bio-home which looks interesting. I quickly picked up some ceramic rings off eBay but am now wondering if they are any good or should I swap them out for a better option.

I'm happy to read over any links or old posts on the matter as I'm in need of a general education, but as I have the basics (if a bit outdated), I would appreciate some insights from you guys on my specific questions.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2013 15:59 by newkie (Chris Green).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2013 16:17 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
To be quite honest, there has not been any major changes since I started keeping fish 40 years ago.
The principles are the same; it is just that various media may have been "perfected" a little or made more widely available at lower cost, and there have been more molecular sieves made available off-the-shelf.
Ditto the same with filters, but power filters have been made more powerful and cheaper and maybe bigger and probably do not leak as much ;)

All in all, choice has got bigger. But it is still much of a muchness.
There is nothing wrong with sponges, filter floss, activated carbon, or ceramic rings so long as they are used correctly.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
18 Sep 2013 09:57 - 18 Sep 2013 09:58 #3 by newkie (Chris Green)
Thanks Ian, yes I suppose nothing radical has changed. There's a couple of clarifications I'd still be interested in hearing more about:

When using mechanical filtration and do you vary the sponge types (course > medium > fine)? Last night I found a set of sponges on eBay intended for pond filters. I intend to throw out my useless AquaOne cartridges and use this, optional carbon, and bio media.

I'm curious if anyone has used the bio-home. The idea that anaerobic bacteria takes hold in the middle of the porous media which gives you better nitrate removal makes sense. Whereas my ceramic rings would hold ammonia and nitrite processing aerobic bacteria. I'd like to hear thoughts about this.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2013 09:58 by newkie (Chris Green).

More
18 Sep 2013 10:09 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
The bacteria that remove nitrate in anaerobic conditions are aerobic bacteria. and any media can hold them if the media is anaerobic (it depends on how the media is used or placed).

Although there are many ways removing nitrogenous waste almost completely from a tank via filtrations system/biological actions, water changes are the best method as the water changes remove compounds that filtration will not remove.
Water changes also replenish the "life" (RedOx) of the water in an enclosed system.

ian

More
18 Sep 2013 10:18 #5 by newkie (Chris Green)
I'm pretty sure the bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen are anaerobic. I don't think ceramic rings would offer the same potential for anaerobic bacteria.

More
18 Sep 2013 10:27 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

I'm pretty sure the bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen are anaerobic. I don't think ceramic rings would offer the same potential for anaerobic bacteria.

Nope. The denitrifying bacteria are aerobic, not anaerobic.
Bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrogen gas are anaerobic though.

Normally, ceramic rings are used in a manner that would not offer much in the way of anaerobic conditions, but that is more to do with the fact that close-packing is difficult. But if they were positioned in a way to receive anoxic water then they would also enable anaerobic reactions to occur.

ian

More
18 Sep 2013 10:34 #7 by newkie (Chris Green)
Again I'm talking nitrate -> nitrogen. For example in a reef tank a deep sand bed offers the anaerobic conditions to naturally convert nitrate to nitrogen and you'll see little bubbles of nitrogen develop in the sand bed and bubble up.

The removal of nitrates from sea water is accomplished via uptake by algae or by anaerobic bacterial reduction of the nitrate to nitrogen gas. Under anaerobic conditions, bacteria such as Pseudomonas, Micrococcus, and Paracoccus convert nitrates to nitrogen gas, in a process called denitrification. These bacteria are facultative anaerobes, and can grow in the sand, where water flow is minimal and oxygen levels are low. They participate in the removal of nitrogen from the aquarium system, because the gases they produce from nitrate reduction escape to the atmosphere.

More
18 Sep 2013 10:46 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Again I'm talking nitrate -> nitrogen. For example in a reef tank a deep sand bed offers the anaerobic conditions to naturally convert nitrate to nitrogen and you'll see little bubbles of nitrogen develop in the sand bed and bubble up.

The removal of nitrates from sea water is accomplished via uptake by algae or by anaerobic bacterial reduction of the nitrate to nitrogen gas. Under anaerobic conditions, bacteria such as Pseudomonas, Micrococcus, and Paracoccus convert nitrates to nitrogen gas, in a process called denitrification. These bacteria are facultative anaerobes, and can grow in the sand, where water flow is minimal and oxygen levels are low. They participate in the removal of nitrogen from the aquarium system, because the gases they produce from nitrate reduction escape to the atmosphere.

They bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas (denitrification) are profoundly aerobic bacteria (I can't think of any anaerobic ones). Under low oxygen conditions, the bacteria will reduce nitrate to form nitrogen gas (much like we reduce oxygen in aerobic conditions to produce water during respiration).

ian

More
18 Sep 2013 10:52 - 18 Sep 2013 10:57 #9 by newkie (Chris Green)
Yay! We eventually found the same page. :crazy:

Yeah you can see in this link it says they can also grow in aerobic conditions but when thinking about DSBs and nitrate->nitrogen gas anaerobic conditions is mentioned more.

Anyway... this is why I find the bio-home media appealing and was looking for reviews on it. Just looking at it you can imagine it would be a good host providing lots of surface area and both aerobic (outer pores) and anaerobic (in the core) conditions.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2013 10:57 by newkie (Chris Green).

More
18 Sep 2013 11:12 #10 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I worked on developing the dentrification systems for fish keeping (mainly for marine in public aquaria) many many years ago ;)
On fish keeping sites I do lament that so much "new stuff" is actually very archaic.

Anyway, I have not used or tested that product.

Different media would have differing ability to allow the bacteria to "cling" to it, I'm not totally convinced that that is a useful determining factor for fish keeping so long as some form of colonisation is allowed.

There is always a major danger in forcing an anaerobic system within the fish tank....that is one of making sure that anaerobic bacteria (particularly sulphur reducing bacteria) do not out compete the aerobic bacteria within the anaerobic environment.
If hydrogen sulphide is produced then not only is that toxic within itself but it can act as a catalyst for alternative pathways within the nitrogen cycle to convert nitrates to ammonia.

ian

More
18 Sep 2013 11:24 #11 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
bio-home works well, never had any problems with it. Didnt seem to clog, which is good. Never used the bigger ones, only the standard. I prefer media a little smaller in size, but thats a personal thing.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds