Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dodgy Heater?

More
01 Oct 2013 08:53 #1 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Hi there...

I'm starting a new tank, with some second-hand equipment, including a Hydor Theo 200W heater.

After getting everything up and running (but no fish yet, I'm just starting the cycle) I had the heater set to 24 degrees, but noticed that the temp was 27 degrees on my thermometer. I lowered down the heater to 22 degrees but it didn't make much difference.

So yesterday evening I lowered down the heater to 20 degrees, the lowest setting. Wondering if the lights might be heating the water (or thermometer) too much, I left it overnight (while the lights were off). This morning I checked (lights still off) and the thermometer is reading 25 degrees. And the heater was on too, despite it being set to 20 degrees. It turned off again a few mins later, but it's still worrying that it thought it needed to come on in the first place.

So, in my mind, I think the heater is dodgy and needs to be replaced. I've checked online and it seems to be fairly common for these heaters, no matter how low you set it it runs hot.

Anyhow, I'm new to all this, so what do you all reckon, is it time for a new heater? If so, I'll probably get either the JBP Pro Temp S or the Fluval E Series, any thoughts on either of those? Also, do I need 200W (there's 145L of water in the tank)?

Thanks in advance...

J.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2013 09:12 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Its better safe than sorry I pm a link for closing down sale
Not sure if they have any left the add was on adverts a few days ago

Something fishie going on here

More
01 Oct 2013 09:25 #3 by Ski (Alan McGee)
Replied by Ski (Alan McGee) on topic Dodgy Heater?
It's not worth the chance so I would defo get a new one.

I would get an Eheim heater - have them on my tanks and have never let me down.

More
01 Oct 2013 09:26 - 01 Oct 2013 10:11 #4 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Dodgy Heater?
Jason,
I think - before spending out more money on another heater it would be as well to monitor the water temperature over a week or so. Set at 20 it might well maintain the water at the 'accepted norm' of around 25. As long as it does maintain this level you should be fine but...if you do decide to change it then look at the Eheim/Jaeger ones this brand is - in my opinion head and shoulders above anything else. Maybe a little more expensive, but the reliance placed upon a heater really does justify the outlay.
200w may be a little over what you require but better to be a little over than under. Obviously the best plan would be to have two heaters, one set at around 22 and the other at 25. This way, if the 25degree one failed and switched off then the secondary one could kick in and at least save the day - not letting the water temperature drop to drastically - but that's assuming the heater failed and went off, sadly failures can also occur in the other direction where the thermostat fuses in the 'on' position and desperately overheats the tank. This is why the recommendation is always to buy the best heater you can - hence the Eheim/Jaeger suggestion.

John
Edit:
Thinking a bit further on this topic I was reminded of the time I was in retail - many years ago now - we got in a stock of thermometers and not one read the same temperature - some were desperately 'out' when checked against a mercury photographic-use one. Needless to say they were all returned! So, I know this might be a silly suggestion but is your thermometer accurate? (Just a thought)...

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 01 Oct 2013 10:11 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
01 Oct 2013 09:48 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Eheim heaters get my vote too.
But as JohnH has said Keep an eye on the temp over a week.

More
01 Oct 2013 10:35 #6 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Replied by Jasonb (Jason Browne) on topic Dodgy Heater?
Thanks for all the advice!

I'll leave it for a week and see how it goes, but if I don't trust it I'll look at getting an Eheim Heater. I'd only need a 125W one according to Eheim (it's rated for 150L-200L), so I'd save some costs there over time, and it's not too expensive from what I've seen.

Thanks...

J.

More
01 Oct 2013 10:39 #7 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)

Edit:
Thinking a bit further on this topic I was reminded of the time I was in retail - many years ago now - we got in a stock of thermometers and not one read the same temperature - some were desperately 'out' when checked against a mercury photographic-use one. Needless to say they were all returned! So, I know this might be a silly suggestion but is your thermometer accurate? (Just a thought)...

I wondered this too, but the thermometer had been reading approx. 21 degrees while sitting in the room waiting for the tank to be set up, and then read about 17 when I put the water in, and then slowly went up to 27. I can easily take it back out again and get it to room temperature and compare it to another thermometer I have though...

J.

More
01 Oct 2013 15:08 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
It takes time for a heater and thermostat to settle-in (the time depends on a number of factors).

The temp dial on top of a heater is only a rough guide.....you must use a thermometer to guage the temp.

If the temperature stays steady at a temp within acceptable ranges then the heater is fine....and it doesn't matter what the temp setting on the heater says.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
01 Oct 2013 23:44 #9 by Bullfrog (DECLAN MAC GABHANN)
I agree with Ian and Crusty, I have a bunch of Eheims and in the main they are good. It's worth investing in a good thermometer probe and adjust the temp setting if needed.

More
02 Oct 2013 06:46 #10 by paulv (paul vickers)
Replied by paulv (paul vickers) on topic Dodgy Heater?
From what I know the majority of tropical fish will do fine with in a wide temp range from 23 to 27 , its only if your breeding them and rearing young will you need an acurite temp reading.my point is why worry too much about how accurite your heater is once its working and not leaking power into thecwater.

More
02 Oct 2013 15:47 #11 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I disagree to an extend Paul,I think the heater is very important actually,firstly because it can boil your fish if its not working properly and secondly because its going to burn electricity if its not set correctly or operating right.

Keep an eye on it over the coming few days, also please check your thermometer. For all the gadgets out there I find the mercury glass ones the most accurate without breaking the bank.(avoid the stick on strips as they are useless). I run two thermometers on my tank at all times.

Best of luck with it, Ive been keeping an eye on the other threads and your tank looks well and your showing great patience. If your in doubt about your heater and its not showing signs of sorting itself out, just get a new one. Beats having to come home to a tank of dead fish because the heater remained on the whole time due its been dodgy. As the lads mentioned, Eheim heaters are amongst the best.
Well done.
Gavin

More
03 Oct 2013 15:07 #12 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Once again, thanks for all the advice!

Just a quick question, any recommendations on where to get Eheim heaters, if I do go that route? My initial search online looked promising, but now I realise there doesn't seem to be many places that sell them that will ship to Ireland. Any shops in Ireland sell them?

Thanks...

J.

More
03 Oct 2013 15:27 #13 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Dodgy Heater?
The best bet would be to send PMs to some of the Forum Sponsors local to you. Any who deal with Eheim will be able to order one in for you, assuming the size you're after isn't in stock now.
Has anyone seen them on their tours around the shops recently?
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
04 Oct 2013 02:19 #14 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi jason,
I know maxizoo fingles has them and at good prices!
jim

More
04 Oct 2013 13:08 #15 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Thanks... I'll get in touch with them...

J.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds