Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sump filter or external filter options.

More
16 Oct 2013 23:13 - 16 Oct 2013 23:16 #1 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I want extra or better filtration on my 350L African cichlid tank,
I am limited to space 21 inch length 12 inch wide 15 inch high
My question is would I be better go with a sump or external filter
I have makings of a sump but I would need a small tank or would this work?

I would love to just buy a x5 or x6 but times are hard and money is low.
It be interesting to here your comments and help.
Thanks
James
Irish-zx10r

Something fishie going on here
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Oct 2013 23:16 by irish-zx10r (James feenan). Reason: Double photo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2013 06:49 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
Its not just the box you have thats needed to make a sump, how will you arrange the pipe work to and from you tank. You also need a return pump. Second hand fx5 will cost 100 to 120, to make a good size sump will cost bout the same.

More
17 Oct 2013 10:10 #3 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

Its not just the box you have thats needed to make a sump, how will you arrange the pipe work to and from you tank. You also need a return pump. Second hand fx5 will cost 100 to 120, to make a good size sump will cost bout the same.

Very true, and the cost of an overflow box, or getting the tank drilled.
As you have an external running ATM, just add on another one, that will increase flow in the tank, as well as giving you all the filtration a mbuna tank needs

More
17 Oct 2013 12:16 #4 by davey_c (dave clarke)
MichaelO was selling a jbl1501 not too long ago so might be worth a ask if he still has it

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
17 Oct 2013 16:40 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I have a video up so you get the idea of the space I am talking about is there many affordable external filters under 15inch high
I don't want to start cutting lumps out of the unit and that's why I was thinking about a sump.
All pipe work and pipes wouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't like to be drilling as the tank is full of water at the minute

More
17 Oct 2013 17:39 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Well if you want to do a sump then yes... you can make a sump from them tubs, lots have done it so I'd say a Google search might give ye some cheap ideas

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
17 Oct 2013 23:07 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

MichaelO was selling a jbl1501 not too long ago so might be worth a ask if he still has it

i looked up jbl and its to high i only have a max height of 15 inch for a external filter.
the sump looks like the only way forward unless i get a bigger unit to hold the tank.

More
18 Oct 2013 06:44 #8 by paulv (paul vickers)
Well james looks like you answered your own question, a large internal is another option but they spoil the look of a tank. Instead of drilling the tank why not try a small internal to pump water into a sump. Atleast it could be hidden with some rock work.

More
18 Oct 2013 09:54 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
The Classic rang of Eheim externals 2211, 2213, and just about the 2215, are all under 15 inches in height,
as is the Eheim Pro 2222 and 2224.

More
18 Oct 2013 11:13 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

The Classic rang of Eheim externals 2211, 2213, and just about the 2215, are all under 15 inches in height,
as is the Eheim Pro 2222 and 2224.

Cheers for the info I will look up Eheim Pro and see if anyone has one for sale.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds