Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Low range heater

More
21 Oct 2013 21:45 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm looking for an aquarium heater that can operate in lower ranges than usual. I'm planning on setting up a cold water tank for White Cloud Mountain Minnows but it'll be in a corridor that isn't often heated. I want to just poke the temp up to about 15-18 degrees but most heaters seem to start around 22. Only the JBL ones seem to go to 20. Does anyone know of one that starts lower?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2013 21:52 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
You should get an accurate room thermometer that records
High and low temperatures
Put it in the corridor and monitor the readings for a week
Or so
You may get away with out using a heater at all
Alternatively you could set a tank up in the place where you
Want it and check the temperatures!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
21 Oct 2013 21:59 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I suspect the temp will drop to 12-13 degrees. it's actually not the fish i'm so worried about, it's more that i'd like to put a few plants into it and I think the low temp would kill them

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
21 Oct 2013 22:06 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
There's a few ways you can do it
A small heater in a big tank
Or use a timer plug but there are draw backs
With both ways
Using a timer plug you would have to monitor the temp
For a day to figure out when to set the timer when to go on
And off
A small heater in a big tank would be on all day and probably
Burn out!
Have a look at thermostaticly controlled plugs

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
21 Oct 2013 22:12 #5 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Low range heater
Offered the Nanos to ya Johnny.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
21 Oct 2013 22:14 - 21 Oct 2013 22:19 #6 by theangryman (chris)
Maybe try a temp controller(cheap enough on e-bay) this will monitor the water temp and switch the heater on and off as needed

I have them on two of my tanks and set the heater to about 30 degs, the controller switches the heater on and off and keeps both tanks about 24 degs no bother, I`m sure they would do the same at lower temps

Chris

"I try to incorporate melody. Even though I'm screaming, I still like to think I bring melody into screaming."
Tom Araya

If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim........Lyndon B Johnson

All my...
Last edit: 21 Oct 2013 22:19 by theangryman (chris).

More
21 Oct 2013 22:15 #7 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
thanks homer but this ones a 160ltr. I think the thermostatically controlled plugs might be an idea. I don't like the idea of using an underpowered heater running all the time

More
21 Oct 2013 22:16 #8 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Low range heater
No worries :S

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds