Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Electrical advice

More
22 Oct 2013 14:14 - 22 Oct 2013 14:18 #1 by stan (stan)
Hi lads
Need a bit if electrical advice
Asked the wife to order this
www.ebay.ie/itm/151133754393?var=4502101...id=p3984.m1439.l2649
But unfortunately she got me the 110v/60hz two pin version
Have looked online at malpin but the item I need is costing 125
Is there anything I can do to get it up and running without spending a fortune as to return it will cost €25
Cheers

Stan
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 14:18 by stan (stan).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2013 15:07 #2 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
You need a Stepdown Transformer. You should find them online for around the 20-30 euro mark. They have them on amazon search Stepdown 240/120v Transformer.

Stephen

More
22 Oct 2013 15:18 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)

You need a Stepdown Transformer. You should find them online for around the 20-30 euro mark. They have them on amazon search Stepdown 240/120v Transformer.

Stephen

exactly as stephan says, never connect a 110v equipment to our 220v main socket you will burn it out. 110v is yellow cable and used on building sites as your less likely to be killed by 110v than 220v. If I was you id return it rather than buying a step down transformer.

More
22 Oct 2013 15:43 #4 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Try your Local electric shop for 220v to 110v adapters for about €15

More
22 Oct 2013 16:08 #5 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
If it is the 110v you have would you not need the power to step up to 240v?

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
22 Oct 2013 18:05 #6 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
I'd imagine you need a Stepdown Transformer to step down the 220v from the wall to 110v for the unit?

That said, this might be a silly question, but are you sure it's not just a 2 pin plug but can still take 220v? Or does the unit specifically say 110v only?

J.

More
22 Oct 2013 18:18 #7 by stan (stan)
Replied by stan (stan) on topic Electrical advice
Thanks for the replies lads. I'll have a look on amazon tonight
It's definitely a 110v.
I thought I would have needed a step up but I've no idea on electrics so I'll go on what people reckon
So folks is it an up or down
Cast your votes :laugh:

More
22 Oct 2013 18:49 #8 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

It's definitely a 110v.
I thought I would have needed a step up but I've no idea on electrics so I'll go on what people reckon

We use 240v, your power head is 110v. So you need to step down from 240v to 110v its quite simple. LOL :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Stephen.

More
22 Oct 2013 20:08 - 22 Oct 2013 20:10 #9 by paulv (paul vickers)

It's definitely a 110v.

plug it in wait about 10sec and bin it :evil:
Last edit: 22 Oct 2013 20:10 by paulv (paul vickers).

More
22 Oct 2013 20:47 #10 by fin (robin finlay)
Hello Stan
Would it not be as cheap to just forget about the unit you have and order the 220 one?

More
22 Oct 2013 21:01 #11 by murph (Tony Murphy)
This is the one you need:

www.maplin.co.uk/productsearch?criteria=...0Voltage%20Converter

The pump is 12w, so 45VA should be more than enough.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds