Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

esb strike all round

More
05 Dec 2013 08:07 #1 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Hey guys heard on the radio there that if these esb strikes go ahead, many homes will lose power for hours at a time.

What precautions does one take in terms of filters, heaters etc.

I really dont want my loved ones dying over a strike.

Very concerned.

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2013 09:08 #2 by Blue Land (Brian McGeever)
If you have advanced notice of the outage, then do a water change prior to the event.

With a large tank the heat loss shouldn't be significant unless the electricity is off for a significant amount of time. Smaller tanks, if you can get something like a duvet and wrap it around this will help retain the heat

More
05 Dec 2013 11:36 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic esb strike all round
This has been partly discussed before, but no recent posts have accrued - I guess we're all waiting with bated breath to see if the proposed outages can be resolved.
Here is the link to Christy's thread from a week or so back.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...c/132930-esb-strike-

From the radio news this morning the likelihood is that there will be three-hour stoppages in the evenings.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Dec 2013 13:18 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
John what effect would 3 hours down time on filters (internal and external )have on beneficial bacteria?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
05 Dec 2013 13:39 #5 by JohnH (John)
I'm no expert on this - but have been told that three hours would be the maximum time without operation, this must be pretty accurate as I have had no discernible difficulties after almost a three-hour power cut on a couple of occasions. Maybe someone more technically-minded can add to this?
John

ITFS member.

More
05 Dec 2013 13:45 #6 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Would it be an idea to empty the old water from the externals and replacing it with water from the tank before restarting them?

Andreas

More
05 Dec 2013 13:49 #7 by JohnH (John)
It wouldn't do any harm - an excellent suggestion.

ITFS member.

More
05 Dec 2013 19:39 #8 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Ok Im feeling the same,
Quite nervous about heaters, External filters etc, I've heard that even after just 45 mins the good bacteria starts to die! I hope this is not true..
But on another note they surely they cant do this, like my point that I said to a friend earlier is what about those unfortunate people that for example have a need for a plugged in medical device? or maybe that has a battery back up...? what and absolute joke in this day and age..
Well I don't know about the rest of you but on the 15th im doin all 3 tanks a massive water change.. and duvets at the ready!

SM

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
05 Dec 2013 19:41 #9 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Oh and What about tin foil under the duvet? Holds Heat>?! Wrap it round first!

SM

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
05 Dec 2013 21:25 #10 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Thank god I asked this.

My intentions at present consist of duvets around the tanks, repeteadly stirring the water so there is movement going through my sponges and water aggitation for oxegen levels...apparently feeding is not advised the day prior but these strikes are scheduled but you still have no idea when or if itll affect you.

But if it happens when im in work. Im so screwed

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
05 Dec 2013 21:32 #11 by JohnH (John)
Back in the day - during the 'Winter of Discontent' in England when power cuts were pretty rife - we used milk bottles filled with hot, but no boiling, water and floated these in the tanks to help avoid temperature losses.
In those days milk bottles were still made from glass and the sterlised milk bottles were preferable because they were sealed with the same sort of caps as are used on beer bottles nowadays. If care was taken when removing the caps they could be reused to form a fairly efficient seal.
Probably something similar could be done with plastic bottles now, I just wonder if they'll be as long-lasting as our old glass ones - probably will is the answer I think.
Now, this doesn't solve the bacteria-saving scenario, but takes care of temperature loss if that is something you might be worried about.

Any other suggestions?

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Dec 2013 22:02 #12 by MickM (Mick)
Replied by MickM (Mick) on topic esb strike all round
Yea I'm quite concerned about the Filter that sounds like a great idea using the bottles I'll definitely try that.
Thanks John

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”

More
05 Dec 2013 22:43 #13 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
wrt a recent thread on the same subject....

some ammonia adsorbing zeolites would not go amiss.
They are cheap enough for most needs. If needed, the bags can be distributed between more than one tank......even scattered on the floor is better than nothing.

A tad more expensive is PolyFilter.

Do not use Prime water conditioner as a means to lower ammonia......it is not that great a product as it claims.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Dec 2013 22:47 #14 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic esb strike all round
I'd say a few manual pumps every hour of the priming button of the filter (if it has any) will help the bacteria from the filter stay alive for longer. It might also prevent the filter from splurting back in the tank any residuals when the power comes back on.

More
05 Dec 2013 22:58 #15 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I agree ^

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
05 Dec 2013 23:16 #16 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic esb strike all round
i have a friend working in the esb and he said it is very unlikely that it will come to a strike, He also told me that if they did go on strike its not as if someone pushes a button and turns off the power the power outage would come if there was a breakdown they would not get it going again if they were on strike, in limerick and surrounding areas he said that it would be days before there was enough breakdowns to cause a power outage with moneypoint and tarbert power stations

More
05 Dec 2013 23:18 #17 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Some great tips and advice here, thanks. A quick question though, how do I heat water to fill bottles if I've no power?

J.

More
05 Dec 2013 23:31 #18 by JohnH (John)
I'm sort of - in passing on that advice - assuming everyone has a hot water tank?
The water from this will stay pretty hot (assuming it's insulated) and while this water wouldn't be recommended for tank filling it won't come into any direct contact with your tank water as it will be in sealed bottles.

John

ITFS member.

More
06 Dec 2013 10:15 #19 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Ah, good point John! Because I was thinking of 'aquarium water' I wasn't thinking of the hot tap, but of course you're right, the water will be in a bottle and never mix with the tank water, so it's fine to use the hot tap. Thanks...

J.

More
06 Dec 2013 10:52 #20 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

I'm sort of - in passing on that advice - assuming everyone has a hot water tank?
The water from this will stay pretty hot (assuming it's insulated) and while this water wouldn't be recommended for tank filling it won't come into any direct contact with your tank water as it will be in sealed bottles.

John

Very good point john,I had boiler trouble recently and it was down for 2 days and the water was still hot,
Hot enough to wash dishes.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Dec 2013 10:55 #21 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Also could anyone confirm how long it takes for the beneficial bacteria to start dying off?
Is it 45 mins and if so how long before it's all dead?

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Dec 2013 12:00 #22 by dannyb (Daniel Byrne)
am i right in thinking that in this strike there is a chance the power wont go off? i seen on other sites (non fish sites) that people are saying it will only be the likes of if there is a power cut in your area there will be no support/maintenance crews to sort it out and that they can not just "flick the off switch" walk away and leave the whole country powerless until its all over

Any who i have made notes of all info above

More
08 Dec 2013 18:40 #23 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic esb strike all round
Looks like it will be all good in the Aquarium world after all.

www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/no-power-out...ree-deal-616546.html

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
08 Dec 2013 18:46 #24 by JohnH (John)
Here's hoping...

Excellent news - thanks for posting this Ger.

John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds