Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Filter setup advice

More
27 Dec 2013 15:28 #1 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
I have a Juwel Vision 450 with the "bog standard" juwel filter and a JBL Cristalprofi e1501 running.
I have got myself another e1501 to beef up the filtration and am going to take out the Juwel internal.
At the moment, the juwel is at one end of the tank and the JBL external intake and output are at the other end.
What way would you guys set up the 2 externals?
Should I have intake and output of both filters at opposite ends ?
2 output at one end, and 2 intakes at the other ?
Suggestions welcome

Tallaght, Dublin 24

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2013 16:08 #2 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Although having intakes at one end and outputs at other would seem to be the best way.....and that would be the way to do if there is an option.....it makes little difference really unless the output is producing loads of bubbles (ie you don't want bubbles being taken into the input pipes).

The JBL e1500 filters are powerful enough to generate loads of water movement such that even if output and input are on the same side the water will be pushed around the tank.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
27 Dec 2013 16:26 #3 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
Cheers Ian. As I said, the output and intake of the 1 I have currently are on the same end. Never have problems with bubbles.
Thanks for your input

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
27 Dec 2013 16:36 #4 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Newbie here but learning fast.
Just setup 2 externals on a 116L bare bottom tank with Discus. Each meal would result in such dirt I had to syphon water and waste 2 times a day. I have put both intakes and both outputs on the side of the aquarium. 1 output pushing water along the back wall and the other one pushing the water on the front wall. It has resulted in current going to the other end of the tank, bouncing back and bringing all the dirt back to the suction.
I cant find any sign of waste 5 mins after a meal (and I am talking about beef heart and frozen brine which really mess up the water). So in the end i syphon water just water change but no more waste to take out. It is a bare bottom tank.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds