Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My fluval U3 died

• amp2000 (amp2000)
  • amp2000 (amp2000)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2014 20:58 #1 by amp2000 (amp2000)
My fluval U3 died was created by amp2000 (amp2000)
I have an internal fluval U3 for my 120litre, I bought it brand new abut 3 months ago.
Today I noticed the water was a bit cloudy & upon closer inspection seen my filter wasn't working :( I checked the fuse & it was fine, I then pulled the bottom part off the filter, ie the impeller & plugged it in on it's own & it worked again.

Why would it stop working like that??? I have hard water where I live so I'm wondering is the internal part of the impeller clogged with limescale or something? Something I can clean maybe? I don't want to take a screwdriver to it without asking for advice first.

The worst thing is I don't know how long it was off, I've 2 airstones in the tank otherwise I would have copped it straight away :dry:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2014 23:50 #2 by wolfie (Anthony)
Replied by wolfie (Anthony) on topic My fluval U3 died
When did you last unplug it before you noticed, the u series are known for the impellers sticking after they are unplugged all you gotta do is give the impeller a little push when this happens and it will work fine

• amp2000 (amp2000)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jan 2014 01:48 #3 by amp2000 (amp2000)
Replied by amp2000 (amp2000) on topic My fluval U3 died
Cheers wolfie, I unplugged it doing a water change on friday, about 18 hours before I copped it...
That means, 18 hours with nothing but an airstone running, have I killed my bacteria or what, I'm scared to do a water test...

More
12 Jan 2014 11:08 #4 by wolfie (Anthony)
Replied by wolfie (Anthony) on topic My fluval U3 died
I would think that you may have some loss of bacteria but not all as its everywhere , on your substrate, ornamants even on the fish and seeing as you still had airflow and movement of water you should still have a lot of this as a result.
I am open to correction but this would be my opinion on it.

More
12 Jan 2014 11:46 #5 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
when you clean the filter do you actually take out the impeller out of its location and brush the impeller under water? Do you also brush inside the "hole" where it is usually lodged? It could get quite sticky in there.... There should not be any screws to remove just some "twist cap" or something.
A few of the internal filters need some type of "tap" to get started,
good luck

More
12 Jan 2014 14:55 #6 by paulv (paul vickers)
A lesson I learned from experience is not to over tighten the casing holding the shaft in place as its set to a specific torc and over tightening will jam the shaft.

• amp2000 (amp2000)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jan 2014 22:46 - 17 Jan 2014 22:47 #7 by amp2000 (amp2000)
Replied by amp2000 (amp2000) on topic My fluval U3 died
Thanks for the replies lads, I've never actually taken it apart so I didn't overtighten anything.
I've just left it alone all week & hoped for the best, I'm due a water change now but I'm going to leave cleaning the filter for now, I'll just leave it running while I change the water.

I dunno if I lost bacteria, 21 out of 22 fish are fine, my male ram cichlid isn't doing too good though :( He has a couple of white spots on his head and bulging eyes, I treated with esha2000 2 days ago as it's all I had, I just moved him to a 60 litre so I can keep a closer eye on him.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2014 22:47 by amp2000 (amp2000).

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds