Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The Power Of UV..!!

More
04 Feb 2014 19:08 #1 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
So for the past 3 months ive had a night mare with my water, the tanks a 260 Vision, not near a window not overfeeding nothing, water changes done religiously on time and no messing abiut with it in general,
But as you can see its been bright green.. Firstly I thought it was a bacterial bloom and then didn't know so after using chemicals and 'Blacking' it out for 3 days ie; no lights and a covered tank it worked ever so slightly but still came back green, Even used one of those micro filter pads and still GREEN :crazy:

So I decided to invest in a Uv Filter which I bought off the site from Jeff, Here are the results-

DAY-1

DAY-2

DAY-3

DAY-4

TODAY-

only 5 days have passed and as you can see the results its working very well,
Delighted so far and thinking of a revamp...

S. :cool:

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2014 19:24 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Great stuff indeed,
Love the 5 photo gradient :)

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
04 Feb 2014 20:29 #3 by Redser (Richard)
Well Stem have to say that post was fantastic!
Goes to show a picture paints a thousand words or in your case 5 pictures.
Was reading up on UV sterilizers and one article described them as "water cleaners" and described just what you have shown.
We need more posts like this one as it shows us exactly what different equipment actually achieves and I don't think anyone can argue with those results.
Well done!
R

More
04 Feb 2014 20:35 #4 by Inza (philippe launois)
told you !

:laugh:

More
04 Feb 2014 20:47 #5 by Stem12 (Stephen M)

told you !

:laugh:

Quiet You. :crazy:

:cool:

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
04 Feb 2014 21:07 #6 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
That is amazing ! Great idea to have pictures day by day to see the improvement.
Did u figure out what is causing the green water ?

More
04 Feb 2014 21:23 #7 by Redser (Richard)
The cause of green water
Green water is the result of a bloom of unicellular algae, and is basically the result of two existing conditions — the aquarium is receiving too much light and the water has a high concentration of phosphates. Both of these conditions are necessary for algae, and neither alone is sufficient.
As was discovered, water changes did not solve the problem in this aquarium. Many tap water supplies these days have high concentrations of phosphates. And, some councel water sources have higher levels of nitrates than are found in established aquariums with biological filtration. Under these circumstances, water changes add, not reduce, the nutrients that support algal growth.
The solution was the UV sterilizer it kills off the algae rapidly as seen!
R

More
04 Feb 2014 21:23 #8 by Stem12 (Stephen M)
Cheers mate, Ye must have been a serious algae problem, I tried everything, but got the light and its going quite quickly,
So lets give it a week or 2 before real results start to show,

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
04 Feb 2014 21:29 #9 by Stem12 (Stephen M)

The cause of green water
Green water is the result of a bloom of unicellular algae, and is basically the result of two existing conditions — the aquarium is receiving too much light and the water has a high concentration of phosphates. Both of these conditions are necessary for algae, and neither alone is sufficient.
As was discovered, water changes did not solve the problem in this aquarium. Many tap water supplies these days have high concentrations of phosphates. And, some councel water sources have higher levels of nitrates than are found in established aquariums with biological filtration. Under these circumstances, water changes add, not reduce, the nutrients that support algal growth.
The solution was the UV sterilizer it kills off the algae rapidly as seen!
R

Agreed,
At first I thought it was the light and went from nearly 10 hours down to 4hrs of light, and no sign of movement then the 'excessive cleaning started..
I would remove nearly 40% every 4-5 days and Nothing! But now your post is making perfect sense to me, Ive adjusted my light at the moment to 6 hours per day and hopefully will move it back up to 8 or 9 in the following weeks,
Long live to Uv :)

S.

Juwel Vision 260-
20ltr-Fluval Spec-
19ltr-Fluval Chi-

Keep The Water Fresh-

More
04 Feb 2014 22:23 #10 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
great job in documenting the change!

More
04 Feb 2014 22:24 #11 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

So for the past 3 months ive had a night mare with my water, the tanks a 260 Vision, not near a window not overfeeding nothing, water changes done religiously on time and no messing abiut with it in general,
But as you can see its been bright green.. Firstly I thought it was a bacterial bloom and then didn't know so after using chemicals and 'Blacking' it out for 3 days ie; no lights and a covered tank it worked ever so slightly but still came back green, Even used one of those micro filter pads and still GREEN :crazy:

So I decided to invest in a Uv Filter which I bought off the site from Jeff, Here are the results-

DAY-1

DAY-2

DAY-3

DAY-4

TODAY-

only 5 days have passed and as you can see the results its working very well,
Delighted so far and thinking of a revamp...

S. :cool:

Incredible thread! I use a UV clarifier myself but I had no idea they were this effective....delighted for you as I'm sure you were sick of having a luminous green algal bloom....thanks for the timeline photos! Brian

More
05 Feb 2014 21:06 #12 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Great set of pictures documenting the use of uv - thanks for sharing

More
06 Feb 2014 00:11 #13 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
DEADLY

Thanks for doing the day to day shots I told yea it would work and it would be a great benefit to the site

NOW you can enjoy your tank, best of luck with it ste ;)

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds