Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Sealant for cracked casing?

More
09 Aug 2014 10:02 #1 by Wackoo (Niall)
Hey guys,

So a while ago posted about a leaking jbl filter. I finally got around to looking at it properly and have discovered two inch long cracks on the filter casing.

The water must have. Been leaking out under pressure.

Anybody have any suggestions for sealing the cracks? Superglue or maybe silicone? Thanks guys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2014 10:52 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'm a big fan of superglue (that sounds really bad!) but I don't think I'd recommend it in this case. I don't think it works well where constant pressure is applied. I'd silicone it, from the inside. That way the water pressure will press the seal shut tighter, rather than trying to push it out. My opinion anyway. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
09 Aug 2014 11:56 - 09 Aug 2014 12:00 #3 by JohnH (John)
Very personally I would suggest you think about using epoxy glue - both on the outside, but also inside as well.
The area would need to be very well cleaned and the plastic surface would need to be roughened to provide a 'key' for the glue to adhere to.
A question: How old is this filter?
Filter casings ought not to develop cracks (unless dropped, of course) so I would get on to JBL explaining the scenario and asking that they provide a replacement for what would appear to be a faulty product.
If that fails it might be worth asking the price of a replacement housing from a JBL stockist.
A few thoughts.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2014 12:00 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
09 Aug 2014 12:12 - 09 Aug 2014 12:15 #4 by Wackoo (Niall)
Thanks for the speedy reply lads!

The filter is 14 months old... I'll contact jbl about a replacement but to be honest I think it's a lot of hassle to ship a bulky item like that back to them if I have to. If anyone has any tips for shipping that'd be great too thanks
Last edit: 09 Aug 2014 12:15 by Wackoo (Niall).

More
09 Aug 2014 12:23 #5 by JohnH (John)
There's even a chance they'll take your word for it and only request a photo as evidence...well, it's a chance...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
09 Aug 2014 14:12 #6 by swai (Simon)
I would definitely chance contacting the manufacturer.

I previously had a tetratec ex 1200 which starting leaking around the motor head. I contacted who I bought it off and they asked for a 10 second video showing the leak. I emailed then and they sent a new motor head to me. That didn't sort it out so they eventually sent me a full brand new unit.

Jbl have an extended warranty too so you never know it might work out for you!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
15 Aug 2014 07:54 #7 by Wackoo (Niall)
Well guys,

After a bit of emailing and pictures jbl have agreed to replace the filter casing foc. Thanks for suggesting the idea to me! Brand new casing is gonna sort the leak :)

Now one last thing... They asked to provide a copy of the receipt... If you buy something online is the receipt the invoice you get with the package?

Where did I put that........ Hahaha

Cheers

More
15 Aug 2014 09:04 #8 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Itll be in the third drawer from the bottom in the unit beside the door oposite the window.......

Thats where I would put the reciept anyway!!!!

More
15 Aug 2014 09:09 #9 by Wackoo (Niall)
Haha I think it was in the second drawer... Hahaha that's why I couldn't find it

More
15 Aug 2014 09:26 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
If u buy online use PayPal that way you will always have a copy for the item and a receipt if u buy from lfs you could ask them if they have a copy of the receipt.

Something fishie going on here

More
15 Aug 2014 11:28 #11 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Were you lookin in the drawer in the room on the left or the right?

Try the OTHER room

I bet thats where it is......

More
15 Aug 2014 11:58 #12 by Wackoo (Niall)
Hang on now... When I got it I was wearing my red jacket... Let me check under the stairs now!

More
15 Aug 2014 12:52 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Hang on now... When I got it I was wearing my red jacket... Let me check under the stairs now!

Is that the jacket you put in the wash? :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
15 Aug 2014 13:01 #14 by Wackoo (Niall)
Oh no... Your dead right lemonJelly!! my only hope now is to try iron it dry now!

More
15 Aug 2014 13:09 #15 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
When you finished rummaging through the man drawer, check your email most online companies will have emailed you order confirmation and invoice. Or if you have an account with online retailer login and check your order history.

More
15 Aug 2014 13:11 #16 by Wackoo (Niall)

When you finished rummaging through the man drawer, check your email most online companies will have emailed you order confirmation and invoice. Or if you have an account with online retailer login and check your order history.

Thank you Q_Comets, yeah I emailed the online retailer I got it from and they forwarded me the invoice about 30 seconds later, very efficient altogether!

More
15 Aug 2014 20:03 #17 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
PM me the company name wud ya? They sound good to deal with

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds