Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Heating for 5 foot tank

More
02 Jan 2015 12:18 #1 by Shuffles (Gavin)
Hi Guys
Just wondering how you guys heat the bigger tanks , like 5 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot
as the heaters only come up as far as 300w and I was wondering what everyone else does

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2015 12:37 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
2 x 300watt heaters.

More
02 Jan 2015 12:42 #3 by Shuffles (Gavin)
Yea that's what I have one down each end of the tank and light is on , on both heaters but temp keeps dropping and have them in the tank about a year,
Just wondering if the tank was too big for them or if there was any other ways to heat that size tank

More
02 Jan 2015 12:52 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
What kind of temperature do you keep the tank at? How warm/cool is the room? Is there decent flow of water past both heaters? All of these can come into play. It may be that you'll just need another heater.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Jan 2015 13:03 #5 by Shuffles (Gavin)
I had it running at about 28 with discus ( the heaters were set to 30) and the flow was good one heater was at the the end were my output from the external is and the other is were the intake from the external is. Room temperater wouldn't be that bad as tank has been there for past 2 years and been going fine had to replace one heater last year and been working fine since but in last couple of months cant hold the tempeture and checked the heaters both have lights on but don't seem to be hot. Have changed both heaters to 34 and tank is now running at 22. ( took the discus out and have in another tank).

More
02 Jan 2015 13:09 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Sounds like one of the heaters isnt working.Could be the thermostat also.gave you tried them in another tank to test them.

More
02 Jan 2015 13:31 #7 by Shuffles (Gavin)
No I will test them in another tank after work and see , would the light on them still work if heater not working

More
02 Jan 2015 13:33 #8 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
The thermostat could be out...check if it brings the temp up in another tank...use a thermomter also to gauge it from and see hiw it goes.

More
02 Jan 2015 13:34 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I run 3 on the 6 ft 2 x300w one 200 one is set bit higher than the other so I only see two running one each end of the tank at the same time no bother up till now and its setup over one year

Something fishie going on here

More
02 Jan 2015 13:40 #10 by Shuffles (Gavin)
will do I have digital thermometer in both tanks

More
02 Jan 2015 13:40 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

No I will test them in another tank after work and see , would the light on them still work if heater not working

I've had a heater in a tank with the light on (and never going off), even generating heat... but not nearly enough to keep the tank warm. And it wasn't even that big of a tank.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 Jan 2015 13:59 #12 by Shuffles (Gavin)
so could be just faulty heater than I have one of the hydro ones ordered

More
02 Jan 2015 14:02 - 02 Jan 2015 14:03 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Also check the warranty on the existing ones...it may be under warranty.some offer a few years.
Last edit: 02 Jan 2015 14:03 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
02 Jan 2015 14:06 #14 by Shuffles (Gavin)
cheers lads thanks for all the input

More
02 Jan 2015 15:00 #15 by JohnH (John)
If your digital thermometer is the stick-on external type it might also be worth your while checking its accuracy too - they are notorious for going 'off' and giving false readings over time.

Just a thought...

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
02 Jan 2015 15:31 #16 by Shuffles (Gavin)
Cheers John no its a internal one and took one from the other tank down as well to double check.

More
02 Jan 2015 16:05 #17 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Just going to add to John's advise in terms of checking the thermometer..i gotta say id never be without the glass ones in my tank even with digital ones also...the glass ones for me are still very reliable and outside of smashing them they will generally be within a 1c of the digitals.

More
02 Jan 2015 19:15 #18 by ger310 (Ger .)
I use a Hidom 500w and a Fluval 300w heater in a similar sized tank......i used just the 500w for a few weeks and seen no real change in temp. on the glass thermometer......i only added the 300w for peace of mind.

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
02 Jan 2015 20:18 #19 by Ski (Alan McGee)
I use one 300w eheim heater plugged into a controller and does the job well. If the temp drops below 2 degrees to the setting, an alarm goes off

More
03 Jan 2015 17:35 #20 by Shuffles (Gavin)
Thanks lads just tested the jbl pro temp in 60 litre tank and light on heated to 18.5 and stops even though I have it on 30. U reckon thermo stay is gone can it be fixed or is it useless

More
03 Jan 2015 20:18 #21 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Its useless...buy another one...id recommmend Eheim Jager...they have a warranty also which ive used before.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds