Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Filter Socks

More
23 Jan 2015 14:06 #1 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Hey all,

Just wondering I have 3 filter stages,

1st - small course filter on the over flow to catch leaves / stop fishing swimming down into sump - clean it about once every 2 weeks.
2nd - Filter socks - get clogged and over-flows every 4 months or so.
3rd - Large slab of course and fine filter. - replaced once a year

the 1st one never needs to be replaced - just cleaned
the 2nd one is very costly at 30 to replace. (2 socks)
the 3rd only about 20 euro a year

So my question is, how do the guys who uses filter socks cut down on expenses?

I've heard of washing them in the washing machine - never tried
I've heard of bleaching then - never going to try
I've heard of power washing them - i have tried but only extends their life by about 1 week.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2015 15:19 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Hi There,

Are you sure your filter sock only gets clogged once every 4 months? That seems a long long time....mine gets changed weekly and does get clogged weekly too,it gets washed in the washing machine..i turn it inside out firstly and give it a wash and squeeze under the tap to remove the gunk and what not, after that i put it on a rinse wash and spin with no detergent...comes out perfect..I think your every 4 months seems abit off to be honest, do you mean every 4 weeks maybe..
The trick is to have at least 2 filter socks, also what size are yours, i have some that Ive never used that i could sell cheap enough if your interested, but they may not suit size ?

Gavin

More
23 Jan 2015 15:31 #3 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Nope. 4 months is how long they last, they are 7 x 16 inches.

More
23 Jan 2015 15:52 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
How long they last or how often they require washing?
Ive my filter socks over 18 months, are washed very reguarly and they are still fine... depends also what kind of filter sock you have, what type of material and micron

Gavin

More
23 Jan 2015 16:04 #5 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
They last 4 months from new. (without washing)
after washing (with a power hose) they only last 1 week.

not to sure of the micron, they are from seahorse so i'd imagine 200 micron. no idea on the material.

More
23 Jan 2015 16:09 - 23 Jan 2015 16:10 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Does it feel like felt material?
If they only last 1 week after a power hose then its unlikely they are the same make as mine, as mine are quite course but i do know there are other ones out there that are very light and would struggle with a power hose alright id say.
If they last 4 months without washing them even, then your probably saving on the washing machine cost anyhow! Like i said mine is weekly, but I have 3 of them so i wash all 3 together. There is a theory out there that socks should be emptied out weekly, as they retain dirt which can leach out and pollute the waters. They are designed to capture left over food thats and gunk thats comes down that sump, but its still in the system if the sock isnt cleaned out.

Gavin
Last edit: 23 Jan 2015 16:10 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner).

More
23 Jan 2015 19:51 #7 by carlowchris (chris)
Replied by carlowchris (chris) on topic Filter Socks
Ive about 6 sets of socks . ..two in the sump at any time....changed twice a week and i nevrr leave to over flow...just washed one a hot wash in the washing machine....think 4 months is a bit long..

More
23 Jan 2015 21:55 #8 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic Filter Socks
Would yez not be paranoid about the last wash when the missis had detergent and softener in their, is their not a chance that maybe theirs still a bit of residue or whatever it's called still in the machine, and a bit if it ending up in the socks

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
23 Jan 2015 22:24 #9 by carlowchris (chris)
I used to be a bit paroid alright....especially when they do come out smelling of bold

but theory was washing machine has had dergerent in.....thats then diluted in the wash and then masivly diluted again during 2 or 3 rinces(cant remember how many times it rinces.....ha ...typical man)........and then you wash the socks with no dergergent.so the detergent is masivly diluted again another 3 or 4 times...during that wash

was on youtube and mr saltwatertank say he washes his in the washing machine.and he has a big sps tank.....

the the machine has got to get them cleaner than washing with a hose.....but yeah always paranoid

More
23 Jan 2015 23:46 #10 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Still smelling of bold now I'm even my paro haha

After you take it out of the machine what do you do then? Do you just let it air dry? Will the chlorine ect. evaporate or......??
How long is it left to dry before you use it again?
Thinking of going down this route case the floss is costing me around 150 a year

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
24 Jan 2015 00:44 #11 by carlowchris (chris)
Generally leave to air dry for a day and chlorine should evaporate but other minerals now thinking about it are probly left behind...but since you had your thing with the bleach ive a sheet of polyfilter in my sump so some of those minerals will be taken out by that.....hopefully...

must try work out the cost of electric.water.and polyfilter and socks compared with just using floss

More
24 Jan 2015 09:37 #12 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
i use mine straight after the wash,they are usually almost totally dry after the rinse and spin wash..never caused me an issue.The chlorine would be so low it makes zero difference especially in a large tank.In terms of the possible chemicals in the washing mavhine,again they are so diluted that it will make no impact on a tank.ive never had any issue with them anyhow.

More
26 Jan 2015 18:53 #13 by jeff (Jeff Scully)
Cheers lads think il give them ago when my floss is all gone

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds