Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Best external filter for my 220 litre

More
28 Mar 2015 18:50 #1 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
I been looking for a new tank 300/350 litre but can find nothing at right money so am setting up my old 220 litre.
I have been reading thru reviews and discussions on here but they were just on the brands not for a specific tank size tho.
So do you reckon a jbl cristal 901,fluval 305 or anything else you might reccomend.first and foremost I want the best for water quality secondly the noise and maintaince,looking forward to hearing your opinions and advice.oh jus incase the questions asked fish will be sevurms and jds

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2015 20:03 #2 by swai (Simon)
I've just set up 2 x fluval 306 about a week ago, there on 155 liter tanks. They are not on full power and still the flow is pretty good. There also very quiet too. I also run a jbl 1501 the next version up from the 901 and i rate that very highly too. I think whatever filter you choose its all down to personal preference as they all do pretty much the same job.

Marino, Dublin 9

More
28 Mar 2015 20:09 #3 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
So what your saying on your expierence either one?i think the jbl is cheaper than the fluval.
Don't think il go tetrac tec again,had one before and the water wasn't as clear as I would have liked.

More
29 Mar 2015 11:05 #4 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

So what your saying on your expierence either one?i think the jbl is cheaper than the fluval.
Don't think il go tetrac tec again,had one before and the water wasn't as clear as I would have liked.

i run few different externals eheim 2260 its old but does a fantastic job hugh filter i think it holds 23L my other one is also eheim pro 3 another great filter and never let me down another one is aps 2000 its great filter very cheap but its better run with the booster filter from aps saves the main filter from blocking up the trays get stuck and are hard to get out when it comes to cleaning the filter it does great job and very powerful. i find if you use some filter floss in the filter it helps keep your water crystal clear along with weekly water changes.

have you much money to spend on a new filter ?

Something fishie going on here

More
29 Mar 2015 14:48 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
I would say if getting a JBL go for the 1501 then it will do the 350L when you find one. I have APS 1400 cos it was cheap but it is very annoying with stuck media trays . Also have eheim 2217 very happy with it. These are on a 260L and a 180L

Never had tetratec but I see a lot of people complaining about them leaking

More
29 Mar 2015 15:14 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I have 1 tetratec and it wrecks my head with leaks etc
Every time I use it I end up having to silicone it to try seal it again

It normally sits in a bucket of its own now and that gets emptied twice a day
Maybe half a litre each time so it's not bad

I have an API Nexx but while I'm happy with it, I don't actually recommend them to be honest

I'll be buying an aps 2000ef shortly mainly due to its cheap price and recommendations from friends who use them

Other than that I have a fluval 206 that ive never had an issue with, and a couple of eheim that have never let me down

More
29 Mar 2015 19:13 - 29 Mar 2015 22:51 #7 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
Thanks for the opinions lads,was looking at the 1501 jbl Alrite,they are all pretty reasonable online
Trying to buy a 450 juwel on adverts at the minute with an external filter:)
Last edit: 29 Mar 2015 22:51 by JohnH (John).

More
30 Mar 2015 22:26 #8 by Robbied12 (Robbie Duffy)
Got a used fluval 305 cheap so il see how it goes for me,appreciate the advice lads.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds