Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Jewel bioflow filter.

More
10 Aug 2018 22:25 #1 by Tilikum (Jessica Kelly)
Hi everyone, I'm new so I'm sorry if I'm writing this in the wrong place.

I'm hoping someone can help me try to figure out what is wrong(or not wrong) with my filter, I have the jewel Trigon 190 with the jewel bioflow built into the tank, I bought this aquarium secondhand around 4 months ago.

The thing that's been bothering me is that on the instructions and anything I can see online seems to show that you shouldn't have to remove the pump to be able to get to the filter media, and also that the heater should fit in nice and neatly behind the pump so that it's all nice and hidden, well I can not seem to fit the heater in behind the pump at all and I have to remove the pump to be able to pull out the filter media baskets.

The videos I see online show the black plastic wall inside the filter, on one side is the pump and on the other the filter sponges, in my aquarium the black plastic wall bit does not reach up as far as in the clips online so basically my pump sticks over into the sponge side so the I can't pull out my filter media without the pump getting in the way, it's nothing faulty with the filter or anything like that, I have checked everything.
The pump is the jewel eccoflow 600, it's a new pump the one that came with the aquarium burnt out after a couple of weeks, it's not the wrong pump or anything its just a newer model of the original.
The aquarium has cycled, I am still dealing with some brown algae but the water tests good everytime so I'm not concerned that the pump isn't working, it's annoying me because I was thinking of adding the baskets of cirax that I would have to buy separately but are recommend for use in the filter, but I don't see how I'm supposed to fit it in because I won't be able to fit my top layer of sponges on top of the basket because the pump will be in the way!

I have searched loads online but I haven't come across anyone else having this issue.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this filter, it is a secondhand aquarium so I'm thinking it's an older model jewel bioflow filter if that makes any difference.

Sorry for the long and confusing post, I'm just trying to explain everything.
Any advice is really appreciated, this has been driving me mad for the last couple of months now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2018 17:00 #2 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Hi have the same setup only mine is a Vision 180 which I've had for 10 years now. The same pump only difference being when my pump failed I replaced it with a Hydor for a few quid less than the Juwel 600 but totally compatabile.

Have you checked by removing all the media tray and pump plus heater if there is something at the bottom cannister that stops it sitting the whole way in dividing wall, The wall should be almost flush with the top of the cannister.

There are different base adapters on that pump to use with different Bioflow filters. I suspect the one you may have on it is the wrong one and making the pump sitting up high and jutting into the media side.

Maybe add some pictures of the setup to help us see a bit better. Also something you should look at doing would be to change the order the media is installed in the filter and not waht you see on the Juwel manual. Go onto YouTube and search for Pimp my Filter 6

Dave

More
17 Aug 2018 20:52 #3 by Tilikum (Jessica Kelly)
Hi and thanks for the reply, I have checked everything in the filter there's nothing blocking it or anything like that, I understand that there is different base adapters on it, the one I have is the more sqaure shaped one with the rounded side not the diamond shaped one if that makes sense.

I have attached photos so if you can see what i mean...I can't get the fiter media out when the pump is in.
As you can see in the photos there is a lot of space on top of the filter baskets that I should be able to fill but don't see how.. if I was to put in the cirax media baskets then I would not be able to put the top media baskets in because the pump is in the way.

I have actually watched that pimp my filter video and ya I don't use the jewel set up that's recommend, I just use the jewel fine and course sponges, I don't bother with the carbon sponges or the nitrax I just bought more fine sponges and added them instead, I don't like the idea of replacing the carbon sponges all the time and I think the nitrax sponge is a waste of money.

Could I just fill a bag of cirax or something similar and sit it on top of the filter media or would it have to be more in the middle or of the filter?

Oh and please ignore how dirty the floss is on top its due a clean.
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2018 12:02 #4 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Hi Jessica
You are right. I had the same setup and always had to remove the pump to change the filter media.
I eventually removed the whole filter (box and all) and set up an external.
I was sick and tired of having brown muck flow out into the tank every time I did maintenance on the filter. On my Jewel 180 I was able to get the heater in that came with the tank but not new heaters that I bought as they all seemed slightly wider.
Pat

More
18 Aug 2018 12:20 #5 by davet (Dave Treacy)
Right that is completely different to what I expected to see and compared to mine as attached so I'm drawing a blank. You might check Jewels own pages or even YouTube for the Bioflow internal that you have. On the pimp my filter I just matched the install method he used. Ceramic bottom then Carbon, fine then medium and coarse at the top. Pump output is heaps better since doing it that way.
Attachments:

More
18 Aug 2018 21:03 #6 by Tilikum (Jessica Kelly)
Ya I have tried looking extensively online but can't find any filter set up like mine, I'm glad to hear Pat had the same setup because I was sure that there was something missing or wrong with mine.

Hi Pat, I also find it fustrating removing the pump everytime just to rinse the floss because then I have to keep adjusting the rubber ring around the pump outlet to make sure the pump doesn't vibrate, just a nuisance and surprising for a jewel product, I really thought that there had to be something wrong with it because it seems so finiky.
Do you mind me asking how long ago it was that you had that filter, I'm asking because I'm thinking it is an older design that jewel might have improved on since, I haven't a clue how old my tank is as it was secondhand and I didn't think to ask the seller.

And I agree Dave I will in the future replace some sponge with a type of ceramic media, I'm just waiting for my tank to mature a while longer because it is fairly new and I have had a few issues with the cycle so I'll leave it to mature for now.

More
25 Aug 2018 10:02 #7 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Hi Jessica
I bought it 11 years ago and after 3 years changed to an external JBL filter
The external is a far better filter and removing the box from the tank gives your fish more room.
Maintenance is cleaner for the tank and the flow rate can be adjusted. TBH I am not overly impressed with the Jewel aquariums. My 180 leaked and I had to replace the lid after 5 years because the lighting control packed in and is housed in the lid.
Pat

More
25 Aug 2018 20:16 #8 by Tilikum (Jessica Kelly)
Hi Pat

I have to agree it does take up a lot of space and is a bit of an eyesore in the back, I hope to disguise it with plants in time.

I think eventually I will take it out all together, how did you go about removing it, I read a while back that it can be simple enough but I would be worried i might crack or really scratch the glass.

Completely different topic here but what do you think about my tank constantly developing brown algae, I know I could have silicates in my tap water but my smaller 28 litre only had brown algae for a couple of weeks during cycling and has never returned so it makes me think if it was my tap water surely the 28 litre would have a similar problem.

More
26 Aug 2018 11:02 #9 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Hi Jessica
I used two things to remove it. I alternated between working fishing line back and forward to cut the silicone blobs and a very thin blade on the ones it would reach.
Its not easy and took me over an hour to do but was well worth the effort.

I have recently been suffering with brown hair algae. Don't listen to the shops when they say certain fish will eat it. Nothing touches it. If its on plants then cut out the affected pieces and be careful to remove any bits that float with a net.
Any stones or wood that is has it need to be soaked in a tub of bleach, then carefully washed with a wire brush.I then did a spate of daily 10% water changes and use easicarb to encourage the plants to grow quicker which limits the algae's ability to grow. I am currently using a syphon to take out any algae spores that I see and use a scraper to clear them off the glass.
I have it under control but its all about water change water change water change.
When I finish a water change I fill a drum straight away and treat it for the next days change. It gives the treatment time to work. The water is better conditioned after 24 hours sitting.
Hope this helps
Pat

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds