Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

record 60 lighting

More
12 Jul 2006 14:18 #1 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
hi all. was woundering if any one had or had thought about modinising a record 60 or similar hood to include an extra light. have seen the article her about fitting extra unit to the feeding hood but if the hood was stripped out of existing light & ballast in the hood this could be used for the extra light and the wires run through the rear of the tank. im still learning all this. any comments. also i am going to fit the extra light to the feeding hood any way cos i got plants & 15w no way enough what is the best tube to use and should i change the normal one already fitted??????

May your fish be with you:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2006 08:01 #2 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I fitted the Rekord 70 with an extra light.
I used silicone to fix the blub holds in place and covered the internal surface of the hood with a reflector I cut up.

I would probably fix wire in place next time I do it as they tend to dip into the water.

I have the ballast unit hanging off a hook on the back the stand so no wires exposed.

Hope this helps

More
24 Jul 2006 05:39 #3 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Just like dsherwin, I fitted my rekord 70 with an additional light. I bought an Arcadia started kit. The starter is down the back of the tank and the wiring is just fed in. The actual light strip is bolted into the plastic in the front of the tank lid, I also fitted a reflector when I was at it. Plant growth has increased significantly and it can nearly match the amount of vegetation eaten by the goldie!!!!

Before the addition of the new bulb.

After the addition of the new bulb, it doesnt look a great deal diffrent on camera, but it is

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
24 Jul 2006 16:44 #4 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
hi guys just looking at the set up on the lid very similar to what i need. but what i am going to do is get another hood and try the following.
rip out the black box at the backwhich holds the ballest for the lighting and fix the second tube in place. because what i have found is that i have enough light at the front but very little at the back even with a reflector it dosnt throw the light backwards. i will try photo the steps and post them when finished.

More
24 Jul 2006 16:59 #5 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey

I had figured the same as yourself, that I had indeed got enough light in the front but not enough in the back! I was going to rip out that black section myself but what prevented me doing it was, I didn't know what the starter unit would be like inside the black box area.

I presumed that when juwel was "pouring" money into the construction of such tanks that they would have skimped on safety of the starter unit as it would have already been inside a protective area (the black part). This leads me to believe that if I removed the starter unit it would be nothing more than a bunch of live wire leaving me highly susceptible to electric shock. This is even after lengthening the wires to the light fitting and having it safely away from the water of the tank.

If you are going to go ahead with the project I would be very interested to see what the starter unit is like, so be sure to post a picture.

tanks

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
24 Jul 2006 17:14 #6 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: record 60 lighting
I have done this mod on a record 60 as shown above and agree that not enough light gets to the back of the tank, so if you can mod it a different way all the better, word of warning though, if this is to be a planted setup and you dont add CO2 you will get hair algae running 30 watts over this tank.

More
24 Jul 2006 17:24 #7 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
what i ai m going to do is completly rip out the system and put in two single 15w lights with thier own ballests on the outside. will cut away the box from the inside to save messing up the sealed lid on top. like tanks a lot i dont think the ballest will be a covered unit thats why going to replace the whole thing. fingers crossed and will keep you posted and pics will follow if i can get them down loaded.
dont know if a mod can check out the timing on the site it seems to 1 hr behind when recice postngs.[/b]

More
03 Nov 2006 14:37 #8 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)

sorry i thought i had posted these ages ago. but this is how it turned out. double the light and no major probs. well worth doing on a single tube lid if you want or need more light.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds