Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Where to buy fluorescent tubes?

• S180de (S180de)
  • S180de (S180de)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2007 11:52 #1 by S180de (S180de)
Where to buy fluorescent tubes? was created by S180de (S180de)
Does anyone know which shops in Dublin carry a selection of T8 tubes? I'm looking for coloration around 830 to 860. e.g. Osram Lumilux range or similar ranges from Philips or others brands. The 830 lumilux spectrum e.g. is identical to Dennerle Trocal Special-Plant (840 = D. Trocal Kongo-White; 860 = D. Trocal Amazon-Day), just way cheaper. Any suggestions? preferably city center.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2007 12:47 #2 by steven (steven)
I know aquatic village has a good collection of tubes can't help with city centre though.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• paulm (paulm)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2007 12:56 #3 by paulm (paulm)
Replied by paulm (paulm) on topic Re: Where to buy fluorescent tubes?
You could try Teelings Electrial retailers on the Malahide road Marino Just beside Graingers pub. Hope this helps it the nearest to city centre .

Regards
Paul.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jun 2007 07:29 #4 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Where to buy fluorescent tubes?

More
25 Jun 2007 17:18 #5 by zig (zig)
830 rated tubes won't be much good for plants, try and get a philips brand if going for a cheapie T8 tube, the colour rendition from these tubes are a lot better than most off the shelf tubes.

One of the best T8 tubes you can buy for growing plants is a Philips 950DLP triphosphar 5200k tube, this is one of the best T8 tubes available and it just happens its a cheapie tube.

The philips 865 T8 is also a very good plant tube and should be widely available from any decent electrical wholesaler, that would be my second choice and its probably more widely available than the 950 tube.

Both are shown in this link below, just so you know what you are looking for, cant buy from this site unfortunatly, they wont deliver to ROI.

If it was T5 tubes you were looking for I would probably pick the Osram lumilux.

If you dont want to grow plants go for the 830 tubes for T8s.

Here's the link

www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/De-Luxe-Pro-90

Sorry, doesn't tell you where to buy them but might give you some ideas on what to buy, just my humble opinion you understand.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jun 2007 01:03 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Where to buy fluorescent tubes?
IMO Osram 865 are the best tubes. 6400k is very good for plant growth. Alterantively use 1 warm white and one cold white tube. Unless you have red leaved plants they'll do fine

• S180de (S180de)
  • S180de (S180de)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jun 2007 02:18 #7 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re: Where to buy fluorescent tubes?
excellent. thanks for all the info. that was very helpful!

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds