Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Penn - Plak Cascade Filter

• Red Empress (Red Empress)
  • Red Empress (Red Empress)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2007 13:54 #1 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Penn - Plak Cascade Filter was created by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Ok the tank I picked up came with this type of filter. I know absolutly nothing about these filters. I have no instructions for it either.

I have tried to find out on the internet and all I keep getting is adverts to sell me one :lol:

Anyone out there have any experience with this type of external ?

I just can't work it out how to prime it or nothing.

I have only ever had fluvals so any help would be great guys.

Thanks.

Jill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2007 14:03 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Sorry,can't help,but I bought a wee internal of that brand,about 15ish euro.Plugged it in,turned it on,nothing.Been in wardrobe since. :evil:

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2007 14:15 #3 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Replied by Red Empress (Red Empress) on topic Re: Penn - Plak Cascade Filter

Sorry,can't help,but I bought a wee internal of that brand,about 15ish euro.Plugged it in,turned it on,nothing.Been in wardrobe since. :evil:

I am so glad I have my Fluval 405 external to fall back on then Dave.

Doesn't sound too good a make then :roll:

More
05 Jul 2007 15:19 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I think Platy252 may have one, he might be on later.

If the only problem is priming, fill the filter chamber manually with tank wanter than stand it in a basin and manually syphon the inlet hose and once the syphon starts ram the hose onto the filter and start it up. Should have enough water coming in to get the outlet going when the pump starts. You will have some air in there though, so rock the filter side to side and it should release itself up the outlet.

Remove from basin, dry the floor and jobs done.

Daragh

More
05 Jul 2007 15:20 #5 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Also meant to say i have a few Penn internals and they all work perfectly. Guess I was lucky.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2007 15:27 #6 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Ok Cheers Daragh. I will PM Platty if he dosen't spot this thread tonight.

Will have a go at what you suggested tomorrow.

Thanks again mate. 8)

More
05 Jul 2007 17:06 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Jill i have a couple of these for a couple of years now with verry little trouble. The only problem i ever had was an impeller rattling in the housing. Once i changed this i had no problems.
When you are putting the top on, the small hole in the top goes over the small hole in the plastic that covers the baskets. Not over the larger hole.
To prime open both valves on the hoses and pump the large button on top of the filter. This may take 6-7 pumps to get it going depending on the height it has to pump (height of the tank).
Leave it for a couple on minutes to fill. Once it is full plug it in and it will start. It may make a slight noise starting up but this is only air that will clear quickly.
Thats it. I find it easier to prime than the fluval filters.

For maintenance; 1 close the intake valve and unscrew hose. 2 close the out flow valve then turn off power (unplug ) and unscrew hose.
If it makes a humming noise when reconnected give it a little shake to release air bubbles. If the humming dosent stop and it is not pumping water the top is on the wrong way around. (the small hole in the top is over the large hole and not small hole as mentioned above).

if you want to pm me your address i will send you a copy of the manual.

The internals a verry hit and miss. You could get one that works perfectly or end up with one that gets bounced off the nearest wall :x .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2007 17:32 #8 by Red Empress (Red Empress)
Thanks so much Darren. PM sent mate. :wink:

More
05 Jul 2007 18:40 #9 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Hi Jill, we used to deal with pennplax, sold hundreds of them to be fair as they were really well priced, but for above reasons, STOPPED!!!!!!!! Found tetra (tetratec) way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However we still carry/can get spares.........................

• Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jul 2007 00:04 #10 by Red Empress (Red Empress)

Hi Jill, we used to deal with pennplax, sold hundreds of them to be fair as they were really well priced, but for above reasons, STOPPED!!!!!!!! Found tetra (tetratec) way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However we still carry/can get spares.........................

Thanks Serratus. :D

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds