Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Filter Frustration

• SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville)
  • SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2007 22:03 #1 by SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville)
Filter Frustration was created by SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville)
Any of you who have been following my posts since I joined will know that I've been having trouble with what appeared to be new tank syndrome and lots of dying fish.

However, last weekend I did a full overhaul of the tank and the filter and when I reconnected the filter there was this big huge whooosh of filth out of the pipe that leads into the tank from the filter.

As the tank had clouded up again already, in spite of the 30% water change on Sunday, I decided to check the filter again tonight. Once again I disconnected it, checked the pump, and then reconnected it. Once again, a big huge whooosh of filth into the tank.

Does this sound right to you? Or is my pump malfunctioning? Is there supposed to be stuff coming out of that pipe all the time?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2007 22:30 #2 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Filter Frustration
Well thers always a spurt of dirt that gets dislodged when you fiddle with the filter, but it shouldn't be enough to dirty the tank totally.
When was the last time you cleaned the filter out, it could simply be clogged with dirt.

More
17 Aug 2007 23:11 #3 by zale (Mark carroll)
Sabrina,
the fine filter material (depending on what filter you use)has either moved allowing gunk to get by it or is in need of a serious wash, if left for a while even the tubing gets coated with gunk (I like that word gunk:P ).

Mark

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2007 23:23 #4 by SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville)
Replied by SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville) on topic Re:Filter Frustration
If you mean by cleaning the filter out that I should have replaced all the sponges, I haven't done that yet as the tank is set up since 23rd July only. If you mean removing anc checking the sponges I did that last Sunday.

Would the normal operation of the filter mean that I wouldn't be likely to see anything at all coming from that pipe?

I like that gunk word too!:)

More
20 Aug 2007 19:34 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
no filter is perfect! there will always be something that gets through. plus its like any system you have to do some cleaning. not all particles will be caught in the medium but will stick to surfaces and build up over time. a bottle cleaner for tubes and a toothbrush will aid you for the other surfaces

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Aug 2007 21:49 #6 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Filter Frustration
what filter are you using?

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2007 10:20 #7 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Filter Frustration
Sounds like you are getting an air lock. common on some filters!!when you restart your filter the best thing is to allow your outlet pipe to pump into a seperate container and give the filter a good shake . this will ensure the first lot of water will go into a separate containerv & not the tank and dislodge any air trapped, let this run for a few seconds until the water runs clear, then let it pump into the tank. then top the tank up with fresh water. hope this helps

• Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2007 10:52 #8 by SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville)
Replied by SabrinaSummerville (SabrinaSummerville) on topic Re:Filter Frustration
Thanks Russell.

Shame, but I discovered I had the filter connected wrongly so it was pumping the gunk back into the tank!

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds