Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fluval 304 External (Seal)

More
13 Sep 2007 14:24 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Finding it hard to get a good seal on this filter, a couple of dribbles coming out beside the clip. Any tips out there? Would a bit of vaseline on the rubber seal help.

Frustrating!!!!

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2007 15:30 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi Peter,

A bit of vaseline would help as the seals are prone to drying out. I always put some on the seal of my 305 when cleaning it. You might also considering getting a replacement seal. Considering the 305 has been around for a while, I reckon yours is getting on. A major seal failure is not something you want to happen.

The vaseline is definitely worth a go before you splash out.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Sep 2007 16:21 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Fluval 304 External (Seal)
That's the old Fluval shortcoming. Very hard to get a proper seal. IMO, the connection of the top of the filter to the canister with only 2 clips is the issue. The canister seem to warp out of shape after a while. I wouldn't use Vaseline in any aquarium application. Petroleum based and not a good idea. You wouldn't pour oil intop your tanks either

More
13 Sep 2007 21:16 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Fluval actually recommend that you use Vaseline to lubricate the seal at every cleaning. I't couldn't imagine enough getting into the water to cause problems.

Regards,

Ken.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Sep 2007 09:51 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Fluval 304 External (Seal)
Ok, maybe not but why bother when there are so many cheaper and better designs on the market. How hard can it be to design a canister filter with four closing clips rather than the two Fluval still insists on using. This problem has been highlighted to them for years but they still insist on producing a dated design at a not exactly reasonable price.
Every other manufacturer, tetra, eheim, jbl, etc. all have four clips with no need of vaseline lubrication required.

More
15 Sep 2007 00:23 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I haven't had any leaks with my 305 after a year, but I have to agree that four clips would make more sense. The FX5 is a far better design and has eight screw down closings.

Regards,

Ken.

More
17 Sep 2007 11:43 #7 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Ok. I've got it to seal for me but i'm looking for an impeller shaft now. Bought a new impeller but the shaft doesn't come with it :evil: :angry:

Warning to all, never buy a second hand filter!!!!

Would have been easier to just order a new Tetra-tec filter.

Any shops in Dublin stock Impeller shafts?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
17 Sep 2007 12:29 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Petstop in Blanchardstown have some Fluval spares, not much, but some. You could trying ringing them to see if them have one (if you can get to speak with someone who knows what an impellar shaft is).

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2007 14:35 #9 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Fluval 304 External (Seal)
The pet shop in Kinsealy also has spares.

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds