Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

nitrate/carbon sponges

More
16 Nov 2007 16:22 #1 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
How important are the nitrate and carbon removal sponges in the Juwel internal filter?
Can they be substituted with ordinary sponges?
Do I have to replace them at the interval given in the instructions?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2007 16:39 #2 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re:nitrate/carbon sponges
Those nitrate sponges don`t really work. You would have to
let them get covered in gunk for Anerobic bacteria to form
and remove Nitrate.

Carbon cponges shoud be changed every two months. Unlike
Poly filter Carbon will start releasing toxins back into the water when it is exhausted.
I don`t use Carbon in a fresh water tank unless I am removing
medications or toxins.
Best to only use it when you need it.

More
16 Nov 2007 19:47 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
IMO it's cheaper to buy Pond Sponge Slabs (for the green genie filters), you can cut them to the same size as the jewel filter pads and they do the same trick.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
16 Nov 2007 19:48 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
To add to Anthony,I DONT replace anything(except the white floss)at ANY interval.Mine are all 18 months in and going strong.All I do is give them a rinse and squeeze out in a bucket of tank water every now and then,usualy only do 1 at a time,rotating them.
A mate of mine does the same with the white 1,but even I'm not that tight.They're only a couple of euro,and I do them as and when needed,probably 1-2wks,will all depend on each tank.Some folk buy the rolls of filter wool and cut it up,but I'm happy just to use the Juwel ones.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2007 23:24 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:nitrate/carbon sponges
Anthony wrote:

Carbon cponges shoud be changed every two months. Unlike
Poly filter Carbon will start releasing toxins back into the water when it is exhausted.
it.

I used to believe that too but it turns out to be another urban myth. Carbon will not leak contaminants back into water but will just cease to take up any more.

You can use pretty much anything that even loosely resembles a filter pad. I have used the foam packaging the PCs in my office come packed in for some years now as fine pads. If you want some send me a Pm and I'll post them for you. If you want something coarser use the ones that are made for garden pond filters. A sheet in my local LFS is a fiver.

Holger

More
17 Nov 2007 14:31 #6 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Thanks all.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds