Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

COULD SOME ONE TELL ME THE COORRECT NAME PLEASE?

More
24 Sep 2006 16:42 #1 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
:?: A few years back i seen an under gravel filter that came in squares about 4" you used these to cover the area required by any chance would any one know their name so i can order some :?:

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Sep 2006 17:02 #2 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: COULD SOME ONE TELL ME THE COORRECT NAME PLEASE?
They were made by Hagen each one had a system where you could put the uplift on , and you could snap them in half so they would fit your tank

More
24 Sep 2006 18:11 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
But why go under gravel when you could go for a internal power filter? There are reasonably priced and give you much more flexibility especially if you plan on having a planted aquarium or using sand as a substrate.

I have the Interpet PF2 and have found it to be very reliable. There are lots of other brands out ther that are worth considering.

Regards,

Ken.

More
25 Sep 2006 01:14 #4 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Personally, i think Undergravel is really underestimated.

Ok, fair enough it can get clogged up, but nothing a good gravel vac and water change can't fix.

I've also kept plant very successfully with UG Filters. I had an Amazon Sword that nearly took the whole UG plate up the roots were that strong.

Its horses for courses. My Cichlid tank has a UG with one uplift tube and a powerhead and on the opposite side of the tank i have an internal filter.

Haven't lost a fish from this tank in 3 years.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Sep 2006 01:52 #5 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: COULD SOME ONE TELL ME THE COORRECT NAME PLEASE?
On my 6' i'm using a combination of both subgravel filter plates and an external, the outtake from the external is in the uplift tube of the subgravel, and it works well for me. And when i had my LFS, i used nothing but subgravel filters in my selling tanks, less places for the fish to hide :) and if the gravel gets tooc clogged a good internal with just sponges and a stir in the gravel soon clears it up.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds