Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fluval 305 Low Output

More
03 Dec 2007 17:01 #1 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Hi,

I have a Fluval 305 external running on my 240l tank for just over a year. It has generally been a good filter, but I have had issues with a small leak in the lid (which I think most Fluval *05 owners have experienced.

I noticed recently that the output has dropped considerably. I cleaned the filter about two weeks ago and all was fine. There does appear to be a lot of gunk in the pipes which is evident when I turn the filter on after cleaning.

I also checked the impeller when cleaning and it looked fine. It does have poly filter in there which I renewed a couple of months ago so that shouldn't be causing the low water flow.

Could it be the gunk in the pipes causing the problem or have I got a knackered filter on my hands?

Regards,

Ken.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2007 18:07 #2 by lampeye (lampeye)
definately the pipes,i had the same problem. im brushes werent suitable to clean them either. take into the sink or out the back, turn the tap on full and you'll flush them out handy enough, keep switching ends as it seem s clean until youi turn it around....hope this helps and makes sense!!

lampeye

More
03 Dec 2007 18:10 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Thanks, I'll give that a go tonight. I have a brush to clean them, but not sure it's suitable. I can take them outside and use the hose.

Cheers.

Regards,

Ken.

More
03 Dec 2007 20:22 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
KenS try lidl we got some bottle/pipe cleaners they are approx 11inches long might be worth a look at. i got them because i am planning on getting a 205 whats this about leaks?

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2007 22:56 #5 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Fluval 305 Low Output
The old Fluval problem. Whoever constructed the closure system on them wasn't really with it at the time of constructing it.
That silly rubber band that seals the filterhead to the cannister is a pain the in butt to get tight and all Fluval except the FX5 have only two clips to fasten rather the 4 that all other manufacturers use these days.

More
03 Dec 2007 23:13 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Sorted. I cleaned a fair amount of gunk out of the pipes. It flushed out pretty easy in the sink using the pressure from both the hot and cold taps. The main problem was the inlet. I have a fair amount of black hair algae in the tank and it clogged up the inlet. It's easy enough to get off and clean so I'll make sure I do it at least once a month. I'd say I would have got away with just cleaning the inlet and the inceased pressure would have cleared a good bit of the gunk out of the pipes.

Anyway, job done and wasn't as awkward as I envisaged. Good job I spotted the decreased water flow or I could have been in serious trouble in a few weeks.

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2007 09:08 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Fluval 305 Low Output
My pressure in my 405 was way down, I thought it was dieing.
So I gave it (the media) a good cleaning and the extra pressure blew all manner of gunk out into the tank.
Is this gunk toxic?
Anyway, flow is greatly increased, but I had to get rid of 80% of the mulm to do it.

More
04 Dec 2007 11:21 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I wouldn't say the gunk is toxic, it's basically algae. It's best to try and catch it with a net covering the outlet as you turn the filter back on.

Regards,

Ken.

More
04 Dec 2007 11:50 #9 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I just stick my syphon hose over the outlet when turning back on filters,catches that burst of muck,and straight into the bucket.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2007 15:41 #10 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Fluval 305 Low Output
Great tips there lads, never would have occured to me.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds