Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Replace T8 with T5 Compact lighting

• daz_1971 (daz_1971)
  • daz_1971 (daz_1971)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Dec 2007 21:33 #1 by daz_1971 (daz_1971)
Replace T8 with T5 Compact lighting was created by daz_1971 (daz_1971)
Hi Folks,

I'm just new to all this and just posted a thread the other day in the new section, so please no laughing if this question is stupid.. ;)

I have only have a 60x30x30 tank(very small) 54 liter or 14 gallons I think.. It has 15w T8 lighting that came with the hood.. My goal was to have cardinals but also nice plants... it seems that this lighting might not really be up to the job!if I wanted to get plants that are not low light.

With this in mind I was thinking when the funds permit.. to replace the T8 with something like an interpet T5 compact lighting system and hook it up with an triplus 16\" 36w blub as I think I might get this in without getting a new hood and having to do any serious work.

This would give me alot more light than I currently have.. I know it's not the 3-4watts per gallon that you should have,(only 2.6watts) but was thinking it might give me more choice of plants. But I heard that these lights can run very hot.. do you think I could run into problems with them? The way the hood on the tank is done I only have a 20\" lenght that I can run the light in... I think they come with fitting brackets but I'm not sure...

If anyone has any advice for me on this I'd be greatful

Thank You

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2007 10:22 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Replace T8 with T5 Compact lighting
all depending what plants you want to keep. 54l don't give you a big choive really since a lot of plants will grow too big. Most swords, Apanogetons, vallis and most stem plants are out of the question.
I have a 54l tank with only 18w T8 on it. Java fern and moss and a couple of crypts in it.They grow like mad. You could also use some Anubias nana.
It's really a question of what plants you would like to grow and how much money you want to spend on the lights

More
11 Dec 2007 12:43 #3 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I agree with Holger. Add a few low light plants and see how you get on first. If you put too much light over that tank you'll end up with a major algae problem.

Another problem with the T5 compacts is that they generate a lot of heat. That could be a real problem over a small tank.

Regards,

Ken.

• daz_1971 (daz_1971)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2007 13:22 #4 by daz_1971 (daz_1971)
Replied by daz_1971 (daz_1971) on topic Re:Replace T8 with T5 Compact lighting
Thanks Folks, I was going to wait and see how I got on first.. but maybe looking at your advice it might be better to put on hold due to the small tank size.. Thank You..

Do either of you have any experience of T6 lights? I was looking around the web and found information about them.. It said that
they give out 40% more light than T8 and you don't have to change anything.. not sure myself but just thought it might be another idea to increase lighting if needed..

More
11 Dec 2007 14:09 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I've heard of T6 lights, but have never seen them. I believe you need to change the screw on end caps that make the light socket water tight as the T6's will have a smaller diameter than the T8's - 6/8ths of an inch as opposed to 8/8ths.

Regards,

Ken.

• daz_1971 (daz_1971)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2007 15:05 #6 by daz_1971 (daz_1971)
Replied by daz_1971 (daz_1971) on topic Re:Replace T8 with T5 Compact lighting
Thanks Ken

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2007 15:10 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Replace T8 with T5 Compact lighting
T6? Never even knew there was such a thing. Only ever heard about T4s,T5s, T8S and T12s.

BTW, T5s produce less heat than T8s. I have them over some of my tanks and you can touch them without getting burnt.

Before you change any bulbs make sure that you can get bi-pin end caps that conform with IP67

More
11 Dec 2007 17:20 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Holger - you're right, T5s generally run cooler. However, the compact T5s do run very hot and are known to have over heating problems in confined spaces. Especially at the higher voltages.

Regards,

Ken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2007 17:54 #9 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
KenS wrote:

Holger - you're right, T5s generally run cooler. However, the compact T5s do run very hot and are known to have over heating problems in confined spaces. Especially at the higher voltages.

Never used the compacts. Always thought they were just bend T5s rather light CFC bulbs. Good to know

More
18 Dec 2007 01:06 #10 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I'm now having overheating problems with my 24w T5 compacts. The symptoms are consistent with those I've read on other forums. The bulbs (which are anything from €15 - €20 each) are only lasting about 4 months. When I try to remove them, the base breaks off in the holder due to the glass cracking form overheating. The rubber holder is also perishing due to the heat.

I've just installed my 3rd set of buls in 10 months. These bulbs give great light when they're working, but that doesn't last for long.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Regards,

Ken.

More
05 Jan 2008 06:28 #11 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
in woodies you can get a nice light ready to install they are t4 streep light 2 ft lenght 6500 kelvin cool light and they are chip,
you can install two of them in juwel hood they have great lumen outpoot and they easy to install ( with black cable ties) they are not so hot as t5
and 20e for each set is verry god price

More
05 Jan 2008 15:10 #12 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
How about water proofing? Do you have them behind a splash screen? A lot of condensation builds up in a hood which would make me nervous of light units not built for the purpose.

Regards,

Ken.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jan 2008 22:34 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
and they also come with a warning label that they are not suitable for bathrooms and other wet rooms...I had a look at them myself and they would be ideal tank lights if they would conform with safety standards

More
06 Jan 2008 12:44 #14 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
the same lighst are sell with all aqua plasma fish tanks ! you can check as you wish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2008 22:55 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Adriano,
quick question if you don't mind. The T4 units I have seen in Woodies come with a warning not to use them where there is a risk of water splashing. Do you have a website for the tanks where the same lights are installed. Would love to try them out on a planted tank I am setting up.
Thanks
Holger

More
07 Jan 2008 00:11 #16 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I would be surprised if it's the same bulb and holder that isn't at least behind a splash guard.

Regards,

Ken.

More
07 Jan 2008 09:21 - 07 Jan 2008 09:28 #17 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
have a look in wackers in parnell, in window is aquaplasma inside is the same strip light, i use this lamp myself and working well, they have great lumen output, and good color render also

if you are afraid to try i have something better for you,
in woodies you can buy compakt bulb suit to use as a replacment of linear halogen 150w
cower will be a halogen flood light enclosure (10e) and bulb cost 25 6500 k colur temp. and about 100 w power they goog and waterproof and nice efekt when tank is open :D:D:D
Last edit: 07 Jan 2008 09:28 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2008 21:52 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
are they ready to be hooked up or do you need a ballast for them?

More
07 Jan 2008 22:15 #19 by Pauly (Paul Mulvaney)
www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/...reshwater-p-623.html
as you can see, upgrading your lighting can be very expensive! Have you looked into getting one of those clip on spot lights, the ones used for the nano aquariums?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2008 00:09 #20 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
clip on lights on a 2m tank? :laugh:

Those Arcadia units aren't even big enough for my tank. Nope, definitely a DIY job

More
08 Jan 2008 00:32 - 08 Jan 2008 00:32 #21 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
give me a ring 0851238646
Last edit: 08 Jan 2008 00:32 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski).

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds