Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What are the light values of energy saving bulbs?

More
16 Jan 2008 11:28 #1 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Is anybody aware if the compact energy saving light bulbs are sufficient for plant growth. After seeing some of the living masters pieces that have been created by a particular member on this forum I am going to have a crack at it myself (with the minimal cost possible). I am going to be using a DIY suspended overtank luminar and I'm trying to suss out what are the cheapest fitting and bulbs to purchase that are sufficient for plant growth?

Any ideas would also be appreciated?

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2008 11:52 #2 by JohnH (John)
Hello Denis,
I bought two of these lamps from this ebay seller, although mine were actually 20W ones...

I have not, as yet, been able to buy any 27mm ES screw bulb fittings (although in truth I haven't tried very hard) so have had no opportunity to see if they would be OK for plant growth but as the colour temperature is 6400 they should be fine.
I seem to recall ricko10 posting that he has used these bulbs, his post, if memory serves me right, said that they were, if anything, a little too bright...I'll try to find the thread presently.

Cheers,

John

cgi.ebay.ie/2-x-SAD-Spiral-Energy-Saving...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Jan 2008 11:57 #3 by JohnH (John)
ps...
I have tried ordinary Energy Saving bulbs and found them to be the ultimate plant killers !!!
Even seemingly indestructible plants such as Anubias, Jave Moss and Jave Fern went yellow and died off !!! - Obviously a definite case of the colour temperature being just too low?
John

ITFS member.

More
16 Jan 2008 17:42 - 16 Jan 2008 17:52 #4 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Thanks John for the information. To follow up on the topic in question. I took myself out to the local hardware store today to riffle through their selections of fittings and bulbs to see what would be suitable for a planted tank.

Unfortunately and as I had expected very few manufactures give the actual kelvin rating of the bulbs they produce. Only one manufacture gave the kelvin rating for their compact fluorescent energy saving bulbs. John, there is a reason why they killed your plants and that is because the Kelvin rating in 2300.

I did however find a little pearler of a lighting unit stuffed away in the back of the lighting display. It was an energy saving T4 fluorescent tube unit with a quality \"6400 kelvin\" rating :woohoo: :woohoo: They came in a range of 10, 16 and 20w and at a cost of €24 for the largest 20w unit (ballast and bulb). The units and bulbs are very thin but would cover the length of most any medium sized tank. Also the replacement bulbs for the 20w units are €7, a far cry from the more expensive T5 and T8 tubes. Of note, on the packet it also mentioned that the 20w T4 bulb gives off the same amount of light as a 100w T8 bulb! :blink: Does this make sense! Would this mean with two 20W T4 units I would have the same amount of light as Two 100w T8 tubes???

I didnt buy them yet as I thought I would check them out with you guys on here first! But, I do think they could work!

Has anyone one else tried these fittings and T4 bulbs before? or if you haven't maybe you have discovered a reason why you can use them!

Last edit: 16 Jan 2008 17:52 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan).

More
16 Jan 2008 18:43 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I too have checked for replacement tubes for my 25w T8 and 24w T5 compacts. As you found out Denis, it's very hard to get bulbs in the right Kelvin range. Most are around 3 or 4k.

If you do find a bulb, you need to ensure that the fitting is at least splash proof. Needless to say, water and electricity are not a good mix.

Regards,

Ken.

More
16 Jan 2008 19:00 #6 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
They units are designed for kitchens and bathrooms so they would definitely be splash/moisture proof. I wouldn't classify them as water proof/resistant but they would be going in a DIY suspended overtank lighting unit, which will most likely have a protective perspex shield. I haven't thought much about its design yet but as you mentioned I will definitely be taking the water/electricity thing into consideration!

More
17 Jan 2008 02:40 #7 by JohnH (John)
I was looking at these (or something similar) in B&Q last week.
I see they have Tri-Phosphor tubes, whatever they are...perhaps it's that which is the reason for why the claimed light output is so spectacular !!!Like you, I'm convinced that a bit of judicious DIY-ing could make them pretty safe from a waterproofing point of view, especially as you plan a suspended pendant assembly although I reckon there will be a good bit more heat generated from them than from 'ordinary' T8 set-ups so ventilation could well be a 'must'.
I think there's more room for experiment here...and you're the best man I know for the job.
Good luck,
John

ITFS member.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds