Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Filter noise - External vs. Internal

More
21 Jan 2008 13:08 #1 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Which type of filter would be noisier? External or internal?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2008 13:29 #2 by Acara (Dave Walters)
IME internals do not make any noise.I have the standard Juwel internals and Tetratec.
I have Tetratec external as well,and it makes a low,almost unheard,hum.I shouldn't think you will get a completely silent external,but after a while you won't notice it.
Having said that,the externals are a hell of a lot easy to maintain and clean,without losing some gunge into the tank.

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
21 Jan 2008 13:40 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
personally speaking neither make much noise it is the vibration that creates the noise if the tank is secure and on a sturdy stand and the filter is mounted correctly there should be little or no noise.

reason for noise would be:
1. tank needs to be topped up/ out let to high out of the water
2. impeller faulty or debris causing improper movement
3. filter, tank or stand not secure

the trickle bar can be a little noisy but you soon get use to it.

in my sitting room i am running two air pumps(elite 802)
one powerhead, FLUVAL 1+, FLUVAL 2+, FLUVAL 205 EXTERNAL, JEWEL SIXTY OWN INTERNAL AND BETTA POWERHEAD WITH DRIP BAR and i only notice a little noise. And i have no problem falling a sleep on the sofa.

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
21 Jan 2008 13:44 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Haha Mickey,you have no problem falling asleep on the couch,is it something to do with the empty bottle of whisky you're cuddling???:laugh: :laugh:

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
21 Jan 2008 13:49 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Pardon me, Dave i didn't catch that I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear with the other

More
21 Jan 2008 20:16 #6 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
I find my new external seems louder than the internal. I think it could be just that the cabinet is making it loader.
It is just that I can here it in the background when watching the TV. Its nothing major though,

More
21 Jan 2008 20:18 #7 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
I find my new external seems louder than the internal. I think it could be just that the cabinet is making it loader.
It is just that I can here it in the background when watching the TV. Its nothing major though,

More
21 Jan 2008 20:34 #8 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
could it have an air lock? i only have my 205 about six weeks so i don't know much about them. the cabinet would be my guess alright might need a little tightening up mine is on the floor to avoid this. but there will be a few on later give you better advice

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds