Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Polyfilter - changes colour???

More
29 Jan 2008 23:34 #1 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux)
Hi Fish Keepers...

Here's a tricky question for you!

The polyfilter boasts that it changes colour to show what impurities it is taking out of your water.

BUT nowhere does it say which colour for what impurity...

Mine only seems to go yellow?

One article on another forum said theirs went black in 3 weeks.

Does anyone have any experience with this miracle filter media?

:huh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2008 23:42 #2 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Polyfilter - changes colour???
Mine went the dark brown so i chucked it.
Also haven't seen any colour charts or such info.

More
30 Jan 2008 00:18 - 30 Jan 2008 00:26 #3 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
black = organic material

red = aluminium

orange = iron

blue/green = copper

I'm afraid thats all the colours I know. But 1 thing I do know is, It needs to be changed if its not white.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2008 00:26 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle).

More
30 Jan 2008 00:30 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
The ones Paul listed are all that's in the instructions that comes with it. Brown/black is the normal colour. I haven't seen it turn any other colour.

I noticed tonight that my FX5 had almost stopped running - it was just a trickle and the fish were gasping. I opened it up and noticed that the Polyfilter was looking worse for ware. I replaced it and all is fine now.

Anyone know how long this stuff lasts. I usually leave it for three months before replacing. I obviously rinse it out when cleaning the filter, but don't always replace it.

I'll know to change it every couple of months in my FX5. My keen eye tonight averted as disaster. The filter sounded normal, it just wasn't putting thorugh a decent flow.

Regards,

Ken.

More
30 Jan 2008 00:41 - 30 Jan 2008 00:42 #5 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
The polyfilter box says that it removes alot more than just metals but i'm quickly running out of colours.

Ken, My first 1 lasted 1 month. It went dark brown. I stuck a few holes in it to see if the brown was all the way through. It was so the change was overdue. I think this 2nd one will last longer though as the 1st has done all the work but I will be checking it when its a month old.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2008 00:42 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle).

More
30 Jan 2008 10:52 #6 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux)
Thanks for comments so far.

I checked and after only one day it's gone brownish in places. Water is clearing considerably!

While I started with minimal ammonia and 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrates but the water was when looking through 1 metre quite yellowey and stained probably from the fish store bought bogwood...

But Doh! The instructions for polyfilter are 'stuck' to the inside of the box!

blue = copper salts
blue-green = ionic copper
greenish yellow = ammonia / ammonium
orange = iorn
red = aluminium
black = heavy organics
yellow = lead

Seems to be an excellent filter!

More
30 Jan 2008 16:43 #7 by Coler (Coler)
its great stuff I find; pricey but worth it.

I don't chuck when its brown; I wait for it to appear close to black on the outside, and then snip into it and check the inside; if that's the same colour I swap it out for fresh stuff - I think that's what the instructions say.

More
01 Feb 2008 13:10 #8 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
just wondering if anyone here has a good link to where to purchase it ??

More
01 Feb 2008 14:05 #9 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
AV and Wackers both sell it. I've also seen it in the Orchard Garden Centre in Celbridge.

Regards,

Ken.

More
01 Feb 2008 14:24 #10 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux)
arabesque wrote:

just wondering if anyone here has a good link to where to purchase it ??

www.fishandfins.co.uk/bargains.htm (It's 2/3rds down the massive long page)
Phone Paul on 0044 1323 488455
£10.99 about €15.70 - €16.90 depending on the exchange, and about £10 P+P for 10 boxes.
Best internet value I can find!

Alternatively see other post for the local stockists.

I would highly recommend this, the water in my tank is practically crystal clear!
:woohoo:

More
01 Feb 2008 14:50 #11 by StormCaseDotie (Andre Devereux)
Aha! one other interesting thing about Polyfilter...

It says it does not take too much ammonia out of the water to starve the biological filter!

I am getting near perfect readings with mine, 0.25ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 5ppm nitrate.

More
03 Feb 2008 12:42 #12 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
I bought mine on Ebay. I get 1 for 10.25 euro. And If you buy enough you could get them for 9 euro. Thats the 8\" x 4\" one. The discs are cheaper but my filter isn't round. If you need the guys details or want to go in on a bulk purchase, pm me.

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds