Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Attaching UV sterilizer to fluval 205 - need ideas

More
08 Feb 2008 09:46 - 08 Feb 2008 09:47 #1 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
My first attempt failed. Good thing it failed immediately.
I have a tetratec UV sterilizer and a Fluval 205. My first attempt was to cut the ribbed hose in the middle, put the ends of the hose onto the connectors for the sterilizer and use silicon to seal the ends. The first problem is that the hose is not a tight fit onto the sterilizer. The hose can turn and pull off easily.

Has anyone replaced the hose of a fluval external with a different hose? If so, what type?

I am thinking of wrapping PTFE tape around the connector, this will build the size of the connector up to make the hoze fit tighter. What I would really like to do is put a hose clamp onto the hose. But this would not work with the ribbed hose that comes with the fluval.

Any ideas? Mostly looking for ideas on attaching hoses to connectors.

I have spare internal filter in the tank now because my external hose is in 2 pieces.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 09:47 by dclifford (Derek Clifford).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2008 10:20 #2 by tonycfc (Tony O Connor)
just an idea of the top of my head wot about going to builders providers and getting suitable pipe to increase the uv to the required diameter may take 2/3 different diameter pipes to build it up to the size u need so wot u be looking at is like an icecream cone affact but much smaller dont know wot size pipes u can get but woth a look

More
08 Feb 2008 11:42 - 08 Feb 2008 11:43 #3 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Tony, that is similar to the idea of using the PTFE tape. But the hose would be better.

I think I have another solution:
Buy a replacement fluval hose and fit it as normal.
Use an old power head and make a portable UV sterilizer. All I need would be some rubber tubing and a few hose clamps.

I imagine the sterilizer will not need to be on for ever, and it would be a shame to tie it down to just one tank.

Why do i always jump into things? Hopefully somebody will learn from this thread.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 11:43 by dclifford (Derek Clifford).

More
08 Feb 2008 11:47 #4 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Anyone know of any shops in the Dublin area with Fluval 205 spare hoses in stock?

More
08 Feb 2008 12:19 - 08 Feb 2008 12:19 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I have the same UV on a 305. It's not easy to connect to the fluval as the pipes are ribbed. I cut the return pipe and used two jubilee clips. Just make sure and get them good and tight. I didn't have them tight enough the first time and it leaked.

Regards,

Ken.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 12:19 by KenS (Ken Simpson).

More
08 Feb 2008 12:26 - 08 Feb 2008 14:06 #6 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Ken, Did your pipes fit up onto the 3rd tier of the connector or the middle tier. The problem I have is that the pipe will only fit on the the middle tier. And it is loose there. I don't think a jubille clip would compress the plastic pipe enough to create a seal.
Last edit: 08 Feb 2008 14:06 by dclifford (Derek Clifford).

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 18:04 #7 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:Attaching UV sterilizer to fluval 205 - need ideas
Put the end of the tube in a cup of boiling water, this will make it pliable and will slip over the next connector. once it cools it will seal tigh.

More
08 Feb 2008 18:54 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Mine went onto the third connector. It's possible that the 305 pipe is thicker than the 205. Russel's solution above is a good one and will hopefully make it soft enough to go onto the third connector. The jubilee clips won't do any harm for extra security.

They are a creat UV clarifier. They keep the water in my community tank crystal clear. I paid around €80, but you can get them close to €60 at the moment.

Regards,

Ken.

More
09 Feb 2008 11:54 #9 by dclifford (Derek Clifford)
Thanks for the info guys.
I am going to use qualpex 1/2\" tubing and various connectors. I had to heat the tubing to make it fit the powerhead and uv fittings.
I might take some photos of the set-up.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds