Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

jeuwel vision 180 what external filter?

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 11:39 #1 by bradan (bradan)
jeuwel vision 180 what external filter? was created by bradan (bradan)
hi i have a jeuwel vision 180 tank, with standard filter, etc i am considering changing to use an external filter, can anyone recommend a good filter for my tank and give me a ball park cost to do this?

i was planning on changing my gravel to sand and adding some bog oak so was going to do all the work in the one go and store the fish in a seperate tank while i carry out the work,,

any recommendations?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 12:47 #2 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:jeuwel vision 180 what external filter?
Hi,
There are many filters available to you.
Tetratec are my brand of choice at the moment, but pretty much any will do the job. Tetratec are currently the best value for money, I have a fleet of them! An EX700 would be ideal IMO.
I have that exact one on my Vision 180 and it does a sterling job.

I have a Fluval external in the for sale section just now:
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...d,34/id,30348/#30348

It is a brilliant filter, but might be a bit too much for your tank. Then again, most people say you cannot have enough filtration.

D

• bradan (bradan)
  • bradan (bradan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 13:17 #3 by bradan (bradan)
Replied by bradan (bradan) on topic Re:jeuwel vision 180 what external filter?
are fluval filters any good, the local shop has the 205 for €115 is this suitable for a jeuwel vision 180?

More
08 Feb 2008 13:23 #4 by Acara (Dave Walters)
It is rated for 'up to 200ltrs',your 180 will probably contain 160-170ltrs,different factors depending,so in that case,I would imagine it would be grand.
I have not used Fluval,but from talking to those who have,there seems to be issues with the seal leaking,though I believe,not major issues.

Dave.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 15:42 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:jeuwel vision 180 what external filter?
The seal issue is well documented, and I got the spare just in case, but this thing hasn't so much as dribbled. I can't comment really, it has just been perfect for me!
I guess its like buying an Alfa Romeo, you get good ones, you get baaaaad ones!!!
The fluval range is excellent as is the Tetratec, but if I were you I'd go for the slightly bigger 305, as I said above, always overrate your filter size, if budget allows.

More
08 Feb 2008 16:42 #6 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
The 405 should be fine on that tank. You can never over filter. The only consideration is that you may have too much water movement. However, the output on the Fluvals is adjustable. I have a 305 on a 230l tank and sometimes feel it isn't enough filtration.

Regards,

Ken.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Feb 2008 16:50 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)
KenS wrote:

The 405 should be fine on that tank. You can never over filter. The only consideration is that you may have too much water movement. However, the output on the Fluvals is adjustable. I have a 305 on a 230l tank and sometimes feel it isn't enough filtration.

I have a Tetratec EX1200 on my Rio 240 and a Fluval 4+ internal. Sometimes it feels like that isn't enough either!!!!

More
08 Feb 2008 21:17 #8 by paulbohs (Paul Doyle)
Yeah but don't you feel sorry for them trying to sleep. The water movement in my 240 is crazy. same external, different internal.

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds