Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Strange Heater Question

More
11 Mar 2008 20:42 - 11 Mar 2008 20:43 #1 by zale (Mark carroll)
Does anyone know how long a 100watt heater stays on in a 24hr period to keep 100 litres at 25*C.

I know central heating, air stones etc have to be taken into consideration, so I'm Just looking for a rough guide,

:blush: :dry:

Mark
Last edit: 11 Mar 2008 20:43 by zale (Mark carroll).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2008 00:04 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I would say that it varies greatly depending on the ambient room temperature. Needless to say, it would be on much less during the summer than winter.

Regards,

Ken.

More
12 Mar 2008 09:41 #3 by nonie (leonie troy)
Well most heaters have a thermostat to regulate the temp therefore they only come on if the temp hits below 25. whenever I check mine I never see the light on it, as it is usually a stable 24 degrees on the thermometer. (100w heater in a 90l tank) If you are adding water and the temp is not at the desired level (beginner mistake when doing a water change) it may take a few hours to get the temp back up so be careful on water changes try gettting the temp of the water as close to 25 befoer puttig it inot the tank! all in all its prob on for an hour or two a day!!

More
12 Mar 2008 10:47 - 12 Mar 2008 10:50 #4 by JohnH (John)
zale wrote:

Does anyone know how long a 100watt heater stays on in a 24hr period to keep 100 litres at 25*C.

I know central heating, air stones etc have to be taken into consideration, so I'm Just looking for a rough guide,

:blush: :dry:

Zale,
I agree with Ken, there really are too many variables here, for example, I have a 3ft tank in my conservatory and that has a 200watt heater in it...I look at it from time to time and have only once seen that heater with the 'on' light 'off'!!!

My suggestion would be for you to set it up, let the water reach the required temperature and then sit beside it for a given length of time recording the times the light is 'on'.
You could then multiply this timeframe by, say 12 in the case of a two-hour observation period, to give you an approximate length of time the heater would be on during a full day, but I stress this will only be a very rough indication, it's really a \"how long is a piece of string\" question. I think I personally would sooner not know - it would probably scare me rigid to find out for sure what time my heaters were on...only good thing is that it should be getting milder later in the month, that will help with the Electricity Bill.

One last thing, if your ambient temperature is a little on the low side you might consider upping the wattage of your heater, 100watts is really getting toward the minimum for the size of tank you mention.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2008 10:50 by JohnH (John). Reason: Changed 's**tless' to Rigid'

More
13 Mar 2008 19:42 #5 by zale (Mark carroll)
Thanks guys,

But I've no problems with heat or water changes..;)
I was just using that as an average, easy sums if you like 100 watts, 100ltr etc....

The reason I was wondering is, I have plans for a big tank (still) and my good wife said I was mad cause the reason our ESB bill is so high is because of my tanks...so I was seeing how much my hobby was costing us....

And to my surprise it's not that much....4 filters, 2 lights & 2 air stones are costing €8 a month. The only thing I couldn't estimate was the heaters.

I'll try timing the heater like you suggested John and pray it's off more than it's on. Because a 200 watt heater on constantly 24/7 would cost (John you might want to look away now) €11 a month on it's own.:S

Mark

More
14 Mar 2008 02:16 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Hate to say it, but your wife is likely to be right. Just tell here my ESB bill is like and she will be happy. Last one was 765 and one before 480! The difference was I tried space heating for the last one, guess what, I am back to heating individual tanks again.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds