Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

best online shop

More
21 Aug 2008 08:48 #1 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi all

i have to get a heater and pump and a few bits
and cant ignore the savings to be had online

any recommendation for webshops / ebays shops
particularly in relation to decent delivery times

I am finding the german ones very competitive
(aquaristic and aquaristik shop)

any thoughts

regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2008 19:22 #2 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
If none of the sponsors can help, I got a filter from zooplus.ie and as a 1st time purchase you get a discount.

More
21 Aug 2008 21:58 #3 by lampeye (lampeye)

More
21 Aug 2008 22:09 #4 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
You generally get better after sales service from the lfs. You generally get better prices online. It's difficult for lfs to buy in bulk and get the same discounts, but when you have trouble with a product they'll step in (usually). If you are confident with the product buy online, but if something goes wrong be prepared to suck up the cost.

I agree that some of the German sites are great, but check who they use to deliver. DHL are great, UPS are acceptable, GLS are unpredictable... at best.

More
21 Aug 2008 23:03 #5 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
thanks guys

i understand that the lfs have their wages,rents and overheads etc
but i need to save a few quid on this one

I got a free tank and filter and was thinking \"bobs yer uncle\"
without knowing too much about the whole aquarium business

i am now 150e down to the lfs and still have no fish!
and i still need a heater, pump and a decent bulb for my rekord 60!

i am on a bit of a budget here and the 150e was not part of it!

having said that i was up in the lfs this evening and
managed to get 100 questions answered while buying some bits,
you cant knock the service!

i am confident enough that i could buy the above items
from reputable brands online with little worry

the lfs will see plently more business from me pretty soon!

kind regards

More
23 Aug 2008 14:33 #6 by Gercro (Ger Cronin)
I have ordered some small bits & pieces (food stuffs, air pumps, test kits and recently an external filter) from zooplus and have found them very efficient and professional to date. All electrical products are supplied with an adapter to suit our outlets, but some of the fertilisers, foods etc. have instructions in every language except English!! which is strange!, but it is very easy to find out dosage levels online if you are unsure.

They use GLS courier service and each and everytime my items have been delivered 4 or 5 working days after placing the order.

You can also track & trace the items online which allows you you to guage when the parcels will arrive and even prepare your tank for changes.

I would have to agree with what others are saying though, you need to be confident with what you are buying before ordering from them, as returning damaged/unsuitable products to Germany is a headache you don't need!!!

Ger

More
23 Aug 2008 14:50 #7 by Sinbad311 (Simon Kennedy)
Hi,

I find Aquaristic.net very good. Delivery time is excellant. I bought stuff on a Friday and had it on a tuesday. Also you can pay cash on delivery if u dont have a credit card and if you spend over 120 euro shipping is free. Cant go wrong with them.

Simon

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds