Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What external filter.

More
18 Oct 2008 13:13 #1 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
I am looking to get 2 rio 300 tanks soon and want to use external filters on both.I have looked at the eheim professional 2 with the integrated heating system.This would be my first time putting external filters in a tank.If anyone has some advice on this filter or some help on what filter would work well in a rio 300 that would be great.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2008 14:23 #2 by pets and ponds (cees and catherine de snoo murphy)
Never go for a internal heater in your external filter,they break down after a while and it is almost impossible to replace them.I speak from experience,the dirt starts to build up around the heaterspiral and burn out. In my case it burst open. This happens very quickly,and when you have to clean it you have scraped the scale off the spiral .Greetings,Cees

More
18 Oct 2008 14:34 #3 by pets and ponds (cees and catherine de snoo murphy)
Hello Cees here again in response to the second part of your question what filter to use in your Rio 300, I would recommend the Aqua-Pro 3 SP which we sell in our shop in Dungarvan and have in stock at the moment. It is recommended for a tank of 300 to 600L filtering 1350L per hour which is needed to get a good flow to clean out every dirt particle. It is Self-Priming hence the SP, and comes with all the pipes and fittings you need, incuding a very useful spray-bar which you can stretch all across the top of your tank to aid aeration or you can just use one of the other nozzles supplied to return the water to the tank. We are using one of this range of filters on our display tank in the shop and in a year and a half of business we have never had to clean it out!! We have many satisfied customers who are delighted with the operation of these filters. Give us a shout 058 40158 and we can answer more questions

More
18 Oct 2008 18:20 #4 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Hello cees.Thanks for the info.Makes sense not to go for the integrated heating system in the filter.It could make it a lot of hard work if it went wrong.I will take a look at that aqua pro 3 and see what it offers.What do you think of the tetra tec ex1200.It seems to offer a lot for the price.

More
18 Oct 2008 19:27 #5 by Acara (Dave Walters)
I have a Tetra 1200 and swear by it,brilliant piece of kit.However,it is rated for aquaria 200-500ltrs,I would always tend to stick to the lower part of the rating,but guess it depends on your stocking level,and what species.I just worry about how a filter can do a good job of 200ltrs,and yet is meant to do just as good a job of 2 and a half times that??

Dave

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
18 Oct 2008 19:31 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I use an external tetratec ex 700 for my tank (its only 160 litres). The tetratec range is great. Really silent and a good flow rate.
Gavin

More
18 Oct 2008 19:33 #7 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
pets and ponds wrote:

Never go for a internal heater in your external filter,they break down after a while and it is almost impossible to replace them.I speak from experience,the dirt starts to build up around the heaterspiral and burn out. In my case it burst open. This happens very quickly,and when you have to clean it you have scraped the scale off the spiral .Greetings,Cees

Well I have the eheim 2126 with the integrated heating element and it has worked flawlessly for a year now. To me it means I don't need an unsightly internal heater. What is the scale that your on about? In my opinion you pay extra for the best and that is the eheim.

More
18 Oct 2008 20:25 #8 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
I am looking to set tank one up as a mbuna cichlid set up and tank 2 as a planted tetra+cory setup.I think the juwel filter takes up a lot of space so have decided to go with an external filter on both.I would hope to get tanks second hand with filters etc being new.Any thoughts on a price for a second hand rio300 with stand.What might i pay?
Thanks for the help and info and keep it comeing.
Eoin.

More
19 Oct 2008 00:03 #9 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Eoin, I have to agree with Cees, avoid the Eheim models with the heater built in. Mine lasted 11 months before failing. Too much trouble returning for a replacement so I added a heater to the tank. It is the only problem I have ever had with an Eheim and I have plenty of them, but I only had the one with built in heater.

Ted, I would have a spare heater ready, just in case!!

I don't know the make that Cees mentioned, so I can't comment. I use Tetratec 1200's and various Eheims, for a Rio 300 a Tetratec 1200 would be perfect or a Ehiem 2015 / 2017, I would not bother with the later Professional range of Ehiems (liek 3 and 3e etc), you are paying extra for gizmos you do not need. The Tetratec comes with all the media you need, it is optional with the two eheims I mentioned - but it is only sponges that are supplied if you get teh media included version, I would suggest you replace some of the sponges with ceramic tubes or other biological medium and just keep two or three of the sponges.

Regarding Juwel filters - they come in for alot of stick, which I think is unfair, unless you want them removed to regain the space they take up leave them in. They hide the heater and work well, you would need to add only a smaller external filter too.

If you don't want to have the heater in the tank and you are removing the juwel box you could go with a Hydor external heater. They are a bit more expensive than a regular heater. I have never used one, but I think Platy252 does.

Good luck with the new tanks.

Daragh

More
19 Oct 2008 17:54 #10 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Daragh.Thanks for the advice on the filter and heater.I was up in AV yesterday and they have the tetratec filters at a great price.I have never heard anything about the hydro external heaters all i can say is they look great and have read some good reviews about them today.Might you know where you might get one.

More
19 Oct 2008 18:04 #11 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
i was never really looking for one so never paid much attention, but I am pretty sure I saw them in Newlands at some stage, but I suggest that you phone first, just to be sure.

Daragh

More
19 Oct 2008 19:19 #12 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

Ted, I would have a spare heater ready, just in case!!
Daragh

I have a hydor external heater and the 300watt internal glass heater that came with my Rio 240. So I'm covered. I read somewhere that the integrated heater in the Eheim 2126 reacts badly to tonic salt which I've never used anyway, so I've no problems.

Orca wrote:

Daragh.Thanks for the advice on the filter and heater.I was up in AV yesterday and they have the tetratec filters at a great price.I have never heard anything about the hydro external heaters all i can say is they look great and have read some good reviews about them today.Might you know where you might get one.

I have a friend with a tetratec filter and he thinks there great. I have experience using the Hydor external heater and have nothing but praise for it. The only negative was the reduced flow from the filter when using it. Online is the best place to get the hydor heater.

More
19 Oct 2008 19:21 #13 by BJHillson (Brett Hillson)
www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/o...w/id,35958/catid,33/

Eheim External Filter Professionel II Special 2026
Fantastic Filter
Good size fits great under my tank (48/15/12inches tank), the flow is great and the build quality is flawless, I use to have a fluval 405 before hand and had alot of issues this these, I thought I would try a Eheim as everyone seems to recomend them and I see why.

I have now had this running since March and still loving it,

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds