Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Good quality heater

• FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
  • FreakyFish (FreakyFish)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Dec 2006 16:59 #1 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Good quality heater was created by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
I'm looking for a good quality (submersible) heater, I can't choose which one to buy. It needs to be for a 275L/60g tank, probably a 300w or something similar.

Cheers!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Dec 2006 03:11 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Good quality heater
Eheim Jager are about your best choice. And you will not need a 300 W model either, 150 W will do. I run a 600 l tank with the 300 W model and it will heat it up to 34degrees, no probs

More
08 Dec 2006 04:31 #3 by arabesque (Mick Veale)
whatever you do dont get a hydor theo.
rubbish

More
08 Dec 2006 07:09 #4 by lampeye (lampeye)
agreed...rubbish...they float so if the suction cups stop working they go bottom up and could explode...(never happened me but read it on another forum)

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Dec 2006 09:06 #5 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
Replied by FreakyFish (FreakyFish) on topic Re: Good quality heater

Eheim Jager are about your best choice. And you will not need a 300 W model either, 150 W will do. I run a 600 l tank with the 300 W model and it will heat it up to 34degrees, no probs

I was looking at the Eheim Jager last night on the net and was considering buying one of those, I think I will invest in one. Yesterday in the pet shop (not mentioning any names), I was told I would need a 300w heater and was not sold a 200w which may have done the job (not sure of the brand), maybe the vary?. Was that person trying to rip me off or was he right :?: :evil: . Should I buy on the net? what is the normal price of the Eheim heater?

More
08 Dec 2006 15:13 #6 by lampeye (lampeye)
5 watts per gallon is supposed to be the rule of thumb. you would prob be alright with a 200w...its up to you, if its in a warm room and you plan on keeping it at 25 or 26 degrees than 200 sounds fine, theres prob not a huge difference in price so id personally go for the 300...or 2x 150s :wink:

lampeye

More
08 Dec 2006 22:55 #7 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
On a big tank like that is would be safer to have 2 heaters of 2X150W, if one sticks it will not boil your fish, I suppose if you have a 200W on already, then another 100W one will be a compromise. Classifying any thing electrical or even cars can be classified by the country of origin as a good indicator, we all know the jap cars and electronics are better and more reliable than their Germans counterparts, just like Honda and Toyota is twice as reliable as Mercedes and Panasonic and Sony are more reliable than Loewe and Bang and Olufsen (satellite TV is my business), then the Germans make better stuff than the Italians, and the Americans make even worst rubbish. Basically stay away from Italian filters and heaters, I do not want to get sued, so I am not going to name them, but see which country it is made in.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 07:30 #8 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
I Don't have a heater already, the last one was thrown out. I will get two x 150w more balance in temperature and + the room is not warm (big room). Is it to much to have two 150 Eheim Jager heaters going at the same time apistodiscus half said they are quite strong by my definition?

More
09 Dec 2006 10:24 #9 by lampeye (lampeye)
no, they ll jus thave to work less to get your desired temp.

lampeye

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 11:14 #10 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)
OK, thats great, Thanks for all your help. :P

More
09 Dec 2006 11:27 #11 by Legless (Legless)
Hi.
B & Q garden centres have fantastic slate, although it's expencive at 5 euro each. (depends how much you need)
all shapes and sizes, same price.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 11:37 #12 by FreakyFish (FreakyFish)

Hi.
B & Q garden centres have fantastic slate, although it's expencive at 5 euro each. (depends how much you need)
all shapes and sizes, same price.

Hi Legless, It was platty252 that was looking for slate. I am talking about heaters in this tread, but you have got me thinking about getting some slate. :D

More
09 Dec 2006 14:49 #13 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
:D Nice one legless. I hopec they are big peices at that price.

More
10 Dec 2006 03:11 #14 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Hi do not want to SLATE of people or is it slag off people, not sure how to spell it I know it is spelt slate or slag :twisted: By completely changing the subject to slate in a heater forum, after all I got off the subject talking about Sony and Panasonic.
Getting back to heaters a part from been made in Italy instead of German, there is a other factor that can effect the reliability, that I forgot to mention. An over sized heater "click in and click out" more than a slightly under sizes on. Think about it from an other angle, the under powered one is almost always on so although the heater is working all the time, the thermosat seldom changed mode so last longer. The high powered one is clicking in and out as much as the emergency indicators on you car.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds