Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Condensation inside my heater

More
25 Nov 2008 00:48 - 25 Nov 2008 00:49 #1 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
As the title says ive noticed Condensation inside my heater
I’m thinking I should keep my hands out of the water until I get a replacement :unsure:
What do ye think?

LB
Last edit: 25 Nov 2008 00:49 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2008 00:57 #2 by Johnmorrin (John Morrin)
Replace it as soon as you can !! I had one like this and the fecking thing blew up , scared the crap out of me.

More
25 Nov 2008 00:57 #3 by karlo (karlo kennedy)
trun it of straight away and get rid of it you could blow evey wire in the house

More
25 Nov 2008 01:11 #4 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I definitely would not put my hand in the tank without unplugging it first.

I would suggest you replac e it as quicklyu as possible, in the meantime I would unplug it and re=position it in the tank so that the seal at teh top is just about water level and only the glass is in the tank, then plug it back in. At least your fish will be warm until you get a replacement. I have seen numerous heaters develop condensation, usually when they are positioned deep in a tank when the pressure is more likely to force water in around the seal. I have never had one fail in this condition, the only heaters I ever had that stuck on were juwels and they had no condensation in them.

That is just my suggestion, don't blame me if you blow yourself, your fish or half the neighbourhood up!

Daragh

More
25 Nov 2008 01:22 #5 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Rite lads I have replaced the 200W heater with a 100W this should be fine until tomorrow evening if the temperature has dropped any bit by 6am (5 hours) I will replace it in the morning ;)

That was quick advice :) :) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
25 Nov 2008 01:24 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
That's a better safer solution, having a spare heater is always a good idea.

Daragh

More
25 Nov 2008 01:31 #7 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Having a spare heater can save a life ;)

Do we have have the option to pin threads on this forum?

More
25 Nov 2008 01:36 #8 by Johnmorrin (John Morrin)
Terror alert has now been downgraded to Low in the Limerick area :P

More
25 Nov 2008 01:42 #9 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Johnmorrin wrote:

Terror alert has now been downgraded to Low in the Limerick area :P

But with all the parts LB has been buying for his tank his credit card is heading for severe :(

More
25 Nov 2008 01:54 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
LimerickBandit wrote:

...Do we have have the option to pin threads on this forum?

Only admins do as loads of stickys are just as likely or unlikely to be read as regular posts.

Daragh

More
25 Nov 2008 09:56 #11 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Daragh_Owens wrote:

LimerickBandit wrote:

...Do we have have the option to pin threads on this forum?

Only admins do as loads of stickys are just as likely or unlikely to be read as regular posts.

Daragh

But there are almost no stickys
There must have been some good threads worth keeping at the top of each section?

More
26 Nov 2008 01:00 #12 by zig (zig)
I have had condensation in one of my heaters for at least 6 months or more:laugh: :S :blink:

(get rid of asap;) )

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds